Sign in to follow this  
mpl330

New install - whats happening?

Hi,Just installed and got everything running ok for a test flight, EGNM to EGLL. Flight plan was to go EGNM to POL to MCT to EGLL (simple) but as I passed POL and got near MCT I was advised to contact London Centre on 18.77 so I took option 1 - Ack and Contact but all this did was give me 2 beeps and then I was repeatedly advised to contact London Centre... Any ideas?CheersMike

18.77 doesn't sound like a valid frequency.is it just this flight plan, or all flight plans?did you edit the f4.csv file?jd

Hi,I've just installed and tried this flight as my first test flight, I didnt think it sounded like a valid frequency but pressed 1 to accept just in case. I havent edited any files but installed off the cd then I installed the 4.3 updates and ran the online update button. When I installed the update I have done it for fs9 & fsx so I have 2 directories and put the MakeRwys file in both FS directories, also ran the Rebuild Scenery option.CheersMike

Mike,The actual frequency is 118.77. Did you tune that and get a response? Do you have auto-reply turned on or do you ack and tune manually?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,It was set for Auto - I will refly the route tomorrow and see what happens again...One other issue is when I am in level flight at the assigned altitude I keep being informed about my flight level even though all looks as it should be - am I missing something else?Starting to get to grips with it and so far I like it!! Love the chatter too!CheersMike

read the manual about transition altitudes, and transition levels, and where to set standard pressure, and where to set local pressurejd

"One other issue is when I am in level flight at the assigned altitude I keep being informed about my flight level even though all looks as it should be - am I missing something else?"Mike,It's 99.9% certain that this is due to you flying with a mis-set altimeter. Don't worry, this is a very common mistake - professional pilots sometimes do it in the real world, too - so you're not alone. :-) The best way to start getting things right is to follow jd's suggestion and get to grips with the concept of the Transition Altitude and Transition Level in the manual. You'll find the basic information on pp107-108. After that, I strongly recommend you fly the European tutorial - a flight from LFML to LSGG which has some practical guidance on European altimeter setting procedures. You'll find this on page 264.To help you along, here are some tips:1, Don't use the "B" key! This is set up for the US system of an 18000ft TA and, in a country like the UK, for example, with a Transition Altitude of 3000ft (and variations up to and including 6000ft at certain airports) it will give you the wrong setting on many occasions.2, Listen carefully to your clearances. If the controller precedes the figures in a vertical clearance with the word "altitude" and follows them with the word "feet" - for example, "climb to altitude 4000 feet" - then you know you must have QNH (the local pressure) set. If the controller precedes the figures with the words "flight level" - for example, "Descend flight level 50" - then you know you must have the standard setting of 1013.2 mB/hPa on your altimeter sub-scale.3, Again, listen carefully. Your co-pilot will give you a very useful reminder of the need to reset the altimeter when climbing or descending by saying "altimeter check" at the appropriate time - at the moment in RC4 this is set to happen 300ft above the TA when climbing and 300ft below the actual altitude of the Transition Level when descending. This is not the signal to change your altimeter setting but an instruction to check that you have! So, if you hear "altimeter check" and you haven't just reset you altimeter, the chances are you've got the wrong setting on and you need to put it right.That should get you started.Pete

Cheers guys for the tips - did the classic mistake of ignoring the manual and just reading the quick start :-doh - I was keen to get going!!Will give the tutorials a go...This wouldnt explain the odd frequency though, will give the plan another flight and see if it happens again (can also check my altitudes too :-shy )CheersMike

Hi,I've now reflown the planned flight and all worked ok, autotuned ok and have sorted the altitude issues :) CheersMike

Hi Mike,Excellent! This serves as a lesson to others. Don't skip the manual - RC is too complicated for you pick up as you go along. If you're a qualified pilot you might just get away with it! :-hah Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather