Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Makerways on WideFS

I can't find reference to this in the manual, but if It's there, I apologise.I have RC4 on the client: do I run Makerways from there or from the Server?Which file - if any - do I need to move, and to where?After any addition or alteration to the scenery database in FS, I presume Makerways will need to be re-run. If this information really isn't in the Manual, (which incidentally is one of the better written and more comprehensive of FS addon manuals), may I respectfully suggest that it be included in the next revision.Also, if any subsequent re-running of Makerways must be done on the main FS machine, the statement from page 139: "....you do not need it (RC4) installed on your main machine" should be amended.Thanks.

I'm pretty certain your answer will be found in the comprehensive teadme for version 4.3 here.http://www.jdtllc.com/v4/notes%20for%204.3.txtCertainly when I set up my network for the first time (being a total newbie/virgin to networks) the readme was spot on and RC worked beautifully in both FSX and FS9.

Hey Graham,I hadn't bothered with 4.3 as I don't have FSX. It didn't occur to me to read the documentation for an update that I don't have. I kind of expected the correct info to be in the base manual.Thank you.

Hi there,If you want to stay with your present version of RC make sure makerwys.exe is in the main FS folder on the server, run RC and try clicking the rebuild scenery db button. What actually happens? If you are asked if this is a widefs setup click yes and you will get a series of instructions (the first being to run makerwys on the server). Let us also know which version of RC you are running.It could well be worth updating to v4.3 anyway. It contains things other than the FSX compatability. In fact some of the changes were put in to try and overcome problems some folks were having with rebuilding the scenery database via wide fs.If you do upgrade make sure you have the latest version of makerwys.exe available from http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...ffc04aac7dcc5c1The download link is at the bottom of the page.The makerwys.exe file should be placed in your main FS folder on the server.All the best,John

Thanks for the help so far John, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try your patience a little more, as I have got into a muddle.The version I had installed on both the Server and the Client was the base 4.0. In order to follow your advice and run 4.3 I have to run 4.1 and 4.2 - on both pc's, I presume.I have got 4.1 installed, but I can't install 4.2: it can't find rcv3.dat.So I'm going to need a hand-held step-by-step 'Updating RC From v4.0 to v4.3' course.I now realise that this is why I have never updated beyond v4.1 since I bought the program.If it's written down somewhere please point me to it and you can get on with more interesting things!

Hi there,More interesting things - my wife's just had me repainting the garden shed ;-)Anyway, first of all you only need to have RC installed on the client PC to run it via widefs. You just need to make sure you have makerwys.exe in the main FS folder on the server.Secondly the upgrade instructions are found on http://www.jdtllc.com/news.htm which includes the link to the release notes http://www.jdtllc.com/v4/notes%20for%204.3.txt.Thirdly check to see if the file rcv3.dat exists in your main RC folder on the client - or even in your RC folder on the server since it sounds as if you have an installation there. If it doesn't you may need to reinstall from the CD then go through the upgrade process. However if you have v4.1 working then the upgrade to 4.2 should simply be a case of replacing the rcv4.exe file with the one available at http://www.davevollmer.com/rcv4_3831.zipAll the best,John

Good morningI was getting close to posting "All done, up and running" but I can't get the right path to the main FS9 folder. I'm not sure what to write: I've tried the name of the mapped FS9 drive but that doesn't work, giving an Error 52. I don't know what else to try, and I have no idea what an UNC name is!

You are a wiser man than I.I am more baffled now than before. I'd like to keep things as simple as possible and not try and learn new tricks.Can you not tell me how to write the path? I don't understand why it won't accept the name of the mapped drive.

Hi there,Sorry for the delay in answering, my network started playing up - microsoft knowledge base fixed it, something about having to edit the registry because of my antivirus program :-(It works okay here with the main FS folder mapped as the Y: drive on the client. Details of how I set this up are below.Anyway now I'm back up and running here's what I've done.To keep things simple I've used mapped drives.I've shared the 'My documentsFlight Simulator Files' and 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9' folders on the server with permission for network users to change my files (vital for RC to work on the client).On the client I've mapped the Flight Simulator Files folder as the Z drive and the Flight Simulator 9 folder as the Y drive.When I run 'rebuild scenerydb' on RCv4.3 I am asked if it is a widefs configuration (answer yes).I then follow the instruction to run makerwys on the server.I then enter Y: as the path RC asks for and carry on okaying all the messages.It also works if I use the UNC path BIGMESHFlight Simulator 9wher 'BIGMESH' is the network name of my server and 'Flight Simulator 9' is the Share Name for my main FS9 folder.Hope this helps.All the best,John

Hey JohnIt all looks so simple when I see it explained. (And to think, there are folk who can figure this stuff out for themselves, without running to you for help!)Looking at the mapped drive it reads.......Flight Simulator 9 on 'MAIN (Server)'(Z:) ......... so I tried MAIN(Server)Flight Simulator 9......and get an "Error 52 Bad name or number". Am I doing something wrong?My mapped drive to FS9 is Y: ....... tried entering Y: as the path and "r5csv not found".This is just so frustrating.....Ha ha: just posted and seen the Smiley: that wasn't me, that's what happens if I type a ':' and a ')'.

Hi again,We'll get this fixed!From one of your earlier messages I had the feeling that you have Flight Simulator 9 mapped as the Z drive. Try entering Z: when RC asks for the path and see if that works.If it doesn't could you go into 'My Computer' on your client and confirm exactly what names there are for your mapped drives (including the drive letters).In my case they are:flight simulator 9 on 'Mesh Desktop (Bigmesh)'(Y:)Flight Simulator Files on 'Mesh Desktop (Bigmesh)'(Z:)Could you confirm that when you open the mapped 'Flight Simulator 9' drive it takes you straight to your main FS folder containing the r5.csv file.Also check if you can set the FLT/.WX Path to the Flight Simulator Files folder on your server (use the button on the main RC screen).Then make sure you can load a flight plan from that folder into RC.As a temporary work around for the rebuild scenery db problem run makerwys on the server then copy the files r5.csv and r4.csv to the root C drive on your client. When rc asks for the path direct it to C:I see what you mean about the smileys - I got them too!All the best,John