Sign in to follow this  
Jentone

Altimeter Setting

Whenever I fly in the UK (and presumably in Europe) when I have handed over to the co-pilot to fly, the altimeter setting always goes back to the standard (29.92 or 1013) I change it and immediately it changes back. Any ideas why this happens? It does not happen when flying in the US.:-hmmm

depends on the transition altitude/level of the area you're flying in. did you read that section of the manual?everywhere other than the united states, the standard pressure is set before reaching the transition level, which varies between airports, countries, and continents.where were you flying? what airports? you can see what the transition altitude is by looking at the controller's screen. the transition levels will be calculated based on that transition altitude and the local pressure, and the transition level will be displayed as the very first screen in the menu display window, right after the "RC is Ready" line is shownjd

Whenever I fly in the UK ...when I have handed over to the co-pilot to fly, the altimeter setting always goes back to the standard (29.92 or 1013)Just to put some figures on what jd has told you, the Transition Altitude in the US (and by default in FS) is 18000ft - in the UK it is 3000ft (with some airfields having slightly higher values between 4000 and 6000ft). You don't give any details of your flight but presuming you were above 3000 - 6000ft depending on your departure point, your co-pilot was correct in setting 1013.2 on the altimeter.For more information, there is a brief explanation of the differences between the US and ICAO altimetry systems used by RC on pp 107-108 of the manual and I suggest you fly the European tutorial which begins on page 264.One final point you might like to note - when flying with RC active outside the US, don't be tempted to use the 'B' key to set the altimeter. It's set for the US Transition Altitude of 18000ft and so will give incorrect results with the basic ICAO system used by RC for non-FAA areas.Pete