Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

How to remove 3rd party aircraft

I would like to know how to REMOVE 3rd party aircraft add-ons. Typically, many files are installed, some going into the GAGES directory, and so forth. Recently I had downloaded one and was not 100% satisfied, so want to remove it. Is there a utility that can identify the associated components of a 3rd pary installed aircraft, and remove them, or must I try to do it by hand, file by file?

Guest Heather 636

Hi JiBrady!I don't know how feasible my suggestion is going to be so if it sounds crazy, disregard it and put it down to the source.From the sound of it, you are wanting to restore your FS to the basic default aircraft.Now, I have no way of knowing what kind of a setup you have and how much hard-drive space, but here's what I'd try.I have two systems here, networked together. Also, the system I am mainly using also has two hard-drives in it. I have FS2002 (default installation only) installed on the secondary PC and can copy and paste files from that one onto my highly modified FS2002 when I really screw up something major (like I'm in the process of now with some scenery files).I'm not suggesting that you hook up a second computer, but if space permits, install a second copy of FS. Then you will have a default version from which you can copy and paste such folders as gauges, aircraft, etc.If FS will not allow two copies on the same drive, what is your possibility of partitioning?Like I said, sounds crazy!? Okay, ignore me and I'll go away.Good luck!Heather

JiBrady; Just go into your FS2002 Aircraft directory and drag the airplane folder that you don't want to the recycle bin. That's it. Don't worry about the gauges. They won't cause a problem. In the future, do what I do. Install the aircraft without the gauges to check it out. If it's not your cup of tea, then you can just delete it without having to search for installed gauges. Also, another tip is to keep the zipped file inside the aircraft folder so if you want to remove the gauges, you can re-unzip it on your desktop to identify the gauges installed. Now, if the aircraft you want to get rid of was an auto-installed aircraft ie: exe file, check to see if there's an uninstaller with it. Use that if there is.

mgdbottled,Thanks for the input. Yes, I was looking for a easy way to remove some, but not all, of my 3rd party add-ons. The one suggestion above thought I wanted to go back to the orginal install, but this is not what I had in mind. I guess, for now, I can remove the aircraft folder, and leave the various gages in the gages folder. I was hoping for a utility that would identify all the aircraft I have installed, then let me select one of them, then the utility would remove all associated files. Perhaps such a utility is impossible. In any case, thanks for your input.jim

Hello Rob,Thanks for the link to ADDIT!. It turns out they have a new version of their program for FS2002. I downloaded it last night and installed one new aircraft. This is a very good looking tool! Exactly what I was hoping to find. My big surprise is that I have not heard of it before. So far I am very impressed. It has a lot of capabilities, but so far I have only used it to install aircraft. In this case, I just pointed to the downloaded ZIP file, and it did the rest! YES, it has a REMOVE function as well.THANKS for the tip!jim b