Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy

Oceanic UHF

I recently took a flight down the east coast of Australia from Hamilton Island(YBHI) to Brisbane(YBBN) and noticed that on 2 or 3 occasions, when slightly off the coast, I got Oceanic UHF chatter. As this is not realistic (losing the centre controller chatter when only 5 - 10 nm offshore) is there some way to change this or would this be classed as a "future request"?

hmmi guess the oceanic control zone is positioned that close to land. have you seen this happen anywhere else?jd

>hmm>>i guess the oceanic control zone is positioned that close to>land. have you seen this happen anywhere else?>>jdNo I haven't. I'll check it out some more.

This is probably normal as along the east coast of Australia OCA begins not too far off the coast (but 10nm...hmmm maybe cutting it a little close). The radar environment still exsists around the major centers like Brisbane and Sydney and consists of a 150 to 200nm arc around those cities towards the ocean. Elsewhere along the coast, the OCA boundary is a lot closer to shore.RC doesn't have the all airspace information to infinate detail of course, but makes a very good resprentation of what is really there. Sort of like the terrain mesh that we see in FS - even at LOD11 terrain sampling, it is "accurate" but not "exactly" the same as the r/w.Btw, in the subject line, it should be Oceanic HF, not UHF ;-)Subs