Sign in to follow this  
Guest strychninekiss

A simple question.

Guest strychninekiss

Hi JD/Ronzie and my fellow simmers! =)When do I "Start RC"?Cause a few times I have started it before pressing "Fly now" in FSX and this has resulted in RC not working once Im in the aircraft at the gate.But then again if I am in the aircraft at the gate and minimize the screen to start RC(after loading the FP in to the gps)when I go back to full screen there is an annoying gap in the top part of the cockpit above the window so I see the outside. Is there a way to get rid of this bug?RegardsLiam

fsx has to be running (ready to fly), before you clik the start button in rcnot sure what kind of gap you would be seeing. can't you move the outside view window up and down to cover up the gap you're describing?jd

pressing "B" doesn't work as you expect it to.it's covered in the tutorial set in europe.you have to have the altimeter set at the standard pressure anytime you hear "FL"pressing "B" sets the altimeter to the local pressure, when below 180.you needed the altimeter at 1013 at FL 130missed crossing resrictions are covered at lenght in all the tutorials. fly a couple of tutorials, get up to speed, and then enjoy your flights.jd

The "B" key only works in FAA areas where the transition altitude is 18,000 feet. Best not to use it. This is hard coded in FS.Each area has a transition altitude. If you are told to climb to a flight level (FL) set your altimeter to standard pressure (29.92 inches or 1013 millibars). If you are told to descend to an altitude in feet then set your altimeter to local pressure. ATC will tell you what that is. The transition altitude RC uses is shown for the departure and destination airports on the controller page. When you pass through an altitude required to change to either standard or local pressure you will hear a copilot voice say "altimeter check" as a reminder.ATC will dictate flight levels and altitudes to you. If they say you need to be at an altitude or flight level in a certain distance or time that is called a crossing restriction. If you miss a crossing restriction (make sure your altimeter pressure is set correctly as just discussed) then ATC will take you off your intended direction giving you delay vectors until you are at the specified level. When you are there it will get you back on your path.If you miss getting a waypoint credit (the required waypoint is shown in the RC window) it will nag you and direct you back to it until you cross it or using the RC extended menu select the direct-to option and pick a waypoint so you can continue in your desired direction skipping that waypoint. The tolerance for waypoints is two nm in the departure and arrival patterns close to the airports and five nm at the higher altitudes. Sometimes on a departure requiring a tight turn you can miss a waypoint close to the runway based on your aircraft characteristics. It is best if possible to leave that out of your FS plan or you will need to use the direct-to option. Also know how to perform a direct-to on your FMC or GPS if you are using those to navigate. If you are getting departure vectors then when you are told to resume your own navigation you need to fly from YOUR PRESENT POSITION to the next waypoint. You do not want to return to the original planned path. Know how if using an FMC to advance the list of waypoints on the FMC LEGS page to keerp it updated in case you do not fly over waypoints in the LEGS list.The General page has the tolerance values for altitude, heading, and speed variances.Use ALT-TAB combination hot key to switch between FS and the RC application window with a minimum of disturbance.You're doing well but you really should read through and maybe fly the tutorials where much of this is explained :)

Just to add some numbers to jd's explanation of what went wrong, by pressing the 'B' key you would have caused FS to set the QNH of 999hPa on your altimeter. With that QNH set, when you levelled at 13000ft, you would actually have been at FL134. FL130 would have been located at 12,600ft above sea level with that QNH.Always make sure your altimeter is set to the correct pressure setting. ;-)Pete

Guest strychninekiss

I really appreciate all the help JD/Ronzie and Peter =))I am going to experiment with the qnh and pressure settings.The only reason I havent flown the tutorials is due to having to minimize FS window to read...but I

print 'em. you don't have to print the whole manual (unless you take it to work, and print it on the fancy two sided, color printer)but you can print the tutorial you're about to fly, just those pages. put them right next to the keyboard, and follow along.jd

Guest strychninekiss

Hi JD.Yes i could do that of course =)RegardsWilliam