Sign in to follow this  
Guest prdant

Voice recognition

Guest Bud

HiThis is a very interesting thread. I too use Game Commander 3 - I don't find it limiting at all. My RC is set up as almost a completely interactive experience, well, simulated - it is some while since I had to use my keyboard.Firstly, I use the 'Silent Pilot' process which provides a very good simulated connection with RC. Most menu items are linked to a GC3 command. For example, I key in the mike to say "Ready for P/back" - the appropriate menu key is activated via GC3 and a response received from RC. Appropriate phrases are used for each phase of RC activity. If I want the Co-pilot to take over I simply key the mike and say "It's yours" - GC3 activates the hotkey command and I get the "Got it" response.It has taken some time to perfect the system - whilst GC3 is IMO very good at voice recognition, care has to be taken to ensure that there are distinct differences in the phrases used as commands, particularly in the final two or three words. It is also important in FSX to ensure that the main FS window has focus when giving commands - bit irritating that.Have to say, I've taken the idea much further, and now use GC3 to 'interact' with ground crew, flight attendants etc etc. Makes for a very interesting experience.Bud

Very interesting indeed,Is it possible to share the Game Commander profiles amongst users, or any other speech program profiles for that matter? This would help a lot of users if it would be possible.Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Guest Bud

Hello GerhardYes I think it is possible - I believe there is a mechanism to import new files into GC3. I'm just on my way out, but I'll have a look at the possibilities over the week end.Bud

Guest macman4

Hi Bud, Yes please if you could maybe post your Radar Contact profile, from your GC3, here. I already have a RC profile folder so I could just replace my .GCC and .GCP files with yours, it sounds that yours are much more advanced than mine. Thanks, look forward to your reply. Bob

HelloCan you use a joystick button to key the mike (PTT) with GC3.

Guest Bud

HiIt is possible to import profiles into GC3 - in fact, quite easy. Unfortunately mine is not simply an RC profile, but one covering FS as a whole - this includes commands for many other functions, some of which are .wav files which are copywrite. So, what I could do, if it would be useful, is to set out in a little more detail the process which I operate and the commands which I use. Anyone who wishes could then set up the same. Sorry if it's a bit long.Let me say again, I use the 'Silent Pilot' file for RC. For those who don't know, basically it is a set of files which are blank - no voice at all, and is installed as the selected pilot voice. This allows you, the pilot, to speak the Pilot Voice and receive a response from RC. If there is no voice activation, then the response is obtained simply by subsequently pressing the appropriate menu key. This process comes alive, however, when voice activation is used. I should emphasise that for interaction with RC in FSX, the main window must have focus.The first call, after wx, would be for clearance from Ground. I usually fly in the UK and clearance is mostly menu item 3. I make the properly worded request and end by keying the mike and saying "at 3", or whatever menu item is shown. [This is one of the occasions when a menu item is spoken and is therefore a bit of a cheat!!]. GC3 activates key press 3 and RC responds with the clearance. I repeat the instructions; key the mike and speak call sign "Roger". GC3 activates keypress 7, RC acknowledges and we move on.In due course, the next item would be pushback; Speak - Ground .. callsign .. key mike "Ready for Pushback". GC3 activates keypress 5. RC provides p/b OK; acknowledge with call sign "Roger" as aboveTaxi phase - Speak - Ground .. callsign .. key mike "At the ramp ready to taxi". GC3 activates keypress 1. RC provides taxi instruction; acknowledge with "Runway .. whatever .. Roger".At this point I often hand over comms to the co-pilot in order to concentrate on the taxi progress and carry out other duties associated with the Captain. This is simply a case of - key mike speak "OK yours" GC3 activates the appropriate hot key combo and the c/p will acknowledge. When I want comms back - "OK mine now" and again GC3 activates the hot key combo.Instructions to contact Tower are acknowledged with a phrase ending in "Roger", as is line up and wait and clear for take off. The GC phrases are - Line up and wait roger" and Clear to take off roger" - in both cases GC3 activates key press7.During the course of the flight, all RC instructions are acknowledged with a phrase which ends with "Roger". [ GC3 keypress 7]. Given an uneventful flight, this just about takes us to to landing. Phrases here are - "Next high speed and hold roger" and "Taxi to the ramp roger". Again keypress 7 via GC3.I should say that in addition to the RC events, I also use GC3 for a whole range of stuff such as interaction with ground crew, flight despatch, announcements, flight operations, flight attendants [i can even order coffee - tho' it never appears - as yet], and so on and perhaps I've over-simplified on RC a bit. Of course not all flights are uneventful but we can cope. As an example, a missed approach. Call sign . . "declaring a missed approach" receives a response from the App. Controller. From the say intentions menu which appears the phrase "Can I have vectors" keys in 1 and obtains the appropriate response by way of instruction.I hope this has given a flavour of the process and I'd be happy to help if anyone feels they'd like to get stuck in to this process.Bud

Guest Bud

You certainly can. I have a Saitek yoke and have programmed one of the buttons for this purpose.Bud

Thank you Bud,It certainly shows the "flavour of the process" and convinced me to get GC or a equivalent program going. Again I want to thank you for sharing this information with us!Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Guest prdant

This weekend I configured VAC to understand my verbal commands and flew a flight from DEN to SNA. Other than forgetting to change the call sign from AA (still had scenario 1 in RC) to UAL everything worked as planned. Everything was verbal and never used the keyboard except to switch views once in awhile. VAC has terrible support but the 10.00 was well worth the price of admission.

Guest Bud

I think GC3 is pretty hard to beat. I've tried most of the voice recognition programs, but none gives, in my experience, the same consistently excellent level of recognition. With the program set up properly, the mike level correct and command phrases distinctly worded I've had an almost 100% success rate.It is expensive, but there again, as with a lot of things, you get what you pay for.Bud