Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Unknown climbing instruction

Hello, on a recent flight I prepared my flight plan with a crusie altitude of FL270. Once I was almost at FL270, I realized that there was still a lot of bumpy clouds at that altitude, so I requested FL310. ATC's reponse was to clear me to FL310 but they added something I couldn't quite make out (I asked hem to repeat a few times and still no luck). It sounded like "best rate" through FL280, or "report through" FL280 or something like that.Any idea what I was being told? I didn't do anything special climbing through FL280 and didn't get told off or anything...Thanks, DaveCYHZ

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi Dave,It was probably "Expedite through flight level 280". RC doesn't actually check your climb rate but if we keep that phrase in for v5 a check might be worthwhile.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray! In the real world, would a command like that likely be given for traffic separation, or could it be for a whole host of other reaons?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi Dave,I'm just a humble sim pilot but I guess it would be for separation purposes. I'll ask amongst the beta team several who are r/w controllers. They'll know. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In the real world, would a command like that likely be given for traffic separation,"Yes, it's a method of achieving separation by using aircraft performance. It's a perfectly valid control method but it has to be used with great caution not least because there is no laid down definition of the climb/descent rate increase required. So, when told to expedite a climb, for example, the results are entirely in the hands of individual pilots and can vary between the aircraft going up like a f art in a bath to a barely perceptible increase in the climb rate. It's best used over a very short vertical range - say, 2-3000ft - and my advice to trainees was always if you need an expedited climb over more than 5000ft, forget it and use another method to achieve separation.Petehttp://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

Great! Thanks for the info guys, I'll do my best to keep the virtual controllers happy and expidite as much as possible next time I hear this :-)

Dave

Maybe a better option would be for RC to command a heading with the climb until level, then tell you to resume own navigation.The expedite command sounds a bit silly if you in a heavy, particually if it's an A340-300, which could barely climb normally at the best of times.

To add to what Pete said,sometimes in the States (I know I used to do it at Denver Center) we would assign rates of climb to assure clearance from potential traffic. This was always done with the pilots concurrence. An example would be "UAL886, climb and maintain FL330. Maintain at least 1500 FPM through FL 310 for traffic. If unable advise". I don't think it's in the book, but it works. Especially if the pilot really wants higher! :-)Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Guest CW466

I often hear Australian controllers asking if an aircraft can reach a flight level by a certain position (outside radar.) If it can they're given clearance.