Sign in to follow this  
chrispeel

HF ATC R/T recordings

Questions, for Ray probably.1.Just out of idle curiosity how did you get your recordings of the HF chatter in the Nadi,Auckland etc regions?If you can reveal that of course!I've just done a flight from LAX to Fiji -for the first first time-and come across a lot of recorded HF chatter2.Second question,a bit off topic perhaps, have you seen,or used,the real time radar display available on a PC with a piece of kit called the SBS-1?I saw it at the EGCC viewer car park shop the other day.Very impressive.especially as it was a very clear day.A lot of folk have been telling their stories of tracking BA038 into EGLL yesterday(on another "spotting"web site)

Those HF recordings are from waaaay back, probably 10yrs ago when I recorded them specifically for RC. I used to live in a small town on the central east coast of Australia (it didn't have much of an airport) so VHF listening was very limited at best. So I ended up having a HF setup instead and listened to chatter from all around the world.These days though, with more airlines switching to the use of CPDL and other satellite technologies, routine voice communications over the HF network has reduced quite a bit. With every new version of RC, we contemplate the removal of the HF chatter, simply because uplink and downlink data packets now replace the position reports, oceanic clearances, and general instructions issued by ATC, which were all done by voice before.There is a company (I think they are in Edinburgh, UK) that sell the SBS-1 kits. There is a guy in Brisbane, Oz, that broadcast the live images from his SBS-1 on the net (http://www.egph.co.uk/sbs.htm). So now I can switch on the scanner and listen to the aircraft, watch the aircraft on screen, and I can even look out the window with binoculars and actually see the aircraft in real life :-) Be aware though that if you do get the SBS-1, not all aircraft are ADS-B eqipped. I'm not sure about the UK, but in Oz I think only 20% are, so they are the only ones that will show up on screen. There was a push to manditorally equip all aircraft including GA by 2009, but I think that's been pushed back to 201x something. But if you're intending to use it in southern UK I think even 20% of the traffic is worth watching :-) EDIT: I think the company that makes them is called Kenetics or something similar.Subs

Thanks for the info SUBS.Very interesting.I guessed it was from a while back!I still hear quite a bit of Atlantic HF stuff here in Central UK although HF conditions are poor at the moment due to being in a sun spot minima.Currently monitoring 8891 which covers the Arctic region too.Lots of stuff in the 75oN area yesterday.When I was last in NZ(2006)I heard a fair bit of HF traffic in the Tasman and Tahiti/Nadi areas.Having some in RC gives a good feel for things I think but the one around VHHH is a bit repetitive!I have a Ham Licence so have a reasonable outside aerial.A year or two back I was able to hear some of the S.Pacific stuff from here near Stoke but not reliably.www.liveatc.net is a good place to listen to some "live"ATC from all over the world but mainly USA.Re.SBS there are a number of suppliers in UK including the guy at EGCC who has one on demo.It's very impressive.Some of the keen spotters had tracked that BA B777 yesterday and reported on its struggles.The dealership is Kinetic Aviation Products,you are correct.I'll try the web site you mention.thanks again for responding.