Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Starting from scratch..Top 5 Flight sims of all time...

Guest PaulL01

Having now enjoyed FS2k2 since its release, And in comparison to all prior versions since and including FS4 and all other GA Sims that I have owned including ATP, FU, ProPilot, FUII, Fly2, FUIII, Fly2k and X-plane their initial "Wow!" factor at the time of release...Here is my list of the top 5 GA sim releases respective to the "Wow!" and enjoyment factor as to the time of their release and how they have stood over time.#1. FS2k2 -very convincing sim even right out of the box: Worldwide Data and airports, AutoGen, ATC, plus special effects like Smoke, Fire, reflections, wake, surpassed my wildest Sim dreams from 1995 when I was reading about the advancements of the then Worlds best level D simulators, what we enjoy right now on our little PCs surpasses in many ways what was the very best that millions of dollars could buy, The same could be said of some of the other current offerings but nothing has jumped off the screen like FS2k2.#2.FU- the original, though very limited in areas to fly (Ironic title) the original FU was extraordinary for the time, I still miss the flexing glider wings that would creek and moan until they broke! Or the realism of the sun throwing its glare on your windscreen, even the interactive menu made it all so special. The stunning Photorealistic textures though repetitive gave us all a stunning taste of what would lay ahead... FUII/III which didn't make the list due to the fact that ultra High res scenery was available for FS9X through 3rd parties and for the even larger areas than the beautiful and more developed scenery available in the FU serries.#3. Fly/Fly2k- The original Fly series can and should be credited for pushing the development of desktop flight to our present level as at the time of its release the FS series was becoming stagnant as far as the core product, its (FS95/98) main stay was really the 3rd party support in the way of add-on aircraft, panels and scenery however the core product itself was showing its age. Fly's depth in aircraft cockpit and integrated systems along with other features made for a great leap in flight sim development and Fly

I'd have to agree with all of your selections, although I wish there were a way to include ATP in the list, in combo with USA EAST/WEST It ranks fairly close with FS4, and helped pioneer the thought of large scale scenery...And FS-II.... It introduced the concept of PC entertainment as more than just an arcade attraction. And it created a generation of dreamers that have become today's FS developers....-John

Why can't you?It's still around... sure, it's $75 (though not too long ago, $200 I think) and it's in version 2.... version 3 coming soon.Andrew> I wish there were a way to include ATP in the list>-John

Hey Paul,I would completely agree with 1-4 on your list, their order and the comments specially. It almost exactly reflects how I feel/felt about flight sims through the years. My only change would be a tie for 5th spot: Flight Sim v2 that introduced me to the virtual experience of flying (it was a HUGE thought changing experience for me) - and F-15 Strike Eagle III. I include F-15 because it was the first fighter oriented sim I actually liked (they're few and far between for me).Care of :http://img.mobygames.com/images/covers/lar...61253663-00.jpgMore than 80 Airports. Wow! :-)Take care, http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gif[link:flightontario.cjb.net]http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Fly! 2K (with Terrascene and Sky) for its closing in on reality, particularly in the "upper landscape".FS2K2 for its overall offer.Still have a weak spot for ProPilot...FS 98

Guest PaulL01

>Fly! 2K (with Terrascene and Sky) for its closing in on >reality, particularly in the "upper landscape". >>FS2K2 for its overall offer. >>Still have a weak spot for ProPilot... >>FS 98Hey, shrink! You short changed us, where's #5? :-lolPaul

Guest PaulL01

>Hey Paul, >>I would completely agree with 1-4 on your list, their order >and the comments specially. It almost exactly reflects how >I feel/felt about flight sims through the years. My only >change would be a tie for 5th spot: Flight Sim v2 that >introduced me to the virtual experience of flying (it was a >HUGE thought changing experience for me) - and F-15 Strike >Eagle III. I include F-15 because it was the first fighter >oriented sim I actually liked (they're few and far between >for me). Hey Bud,Military sim wise for me it would be: (I dont play them much anymore, not that I ever did, too close to realty and I dont like blowing people up :))#1 -Chuck Yeagers Combat, too much fun!#2 -Falcon 3.0 -way ahead of its time.#3 -Jetfighter -I forget what version, I think it was #4? was first Sim to offer shaded flight models, the missions where fun.Take Care,Paul

Guest PaulL01

John,>I'd have to agree with all of your selections, although I >wish there were a way to include ATP in the list, in combo >with USA EAST/WEST It ranks fairly close with FS4, and >helped pioneer the thought of large scale scenery... Yes ATP was great, I still have my disks and the great manuals as there are none better, its just that ATP was only really a ramped up FS4 (well not really, since MS bought Fs4 from Sublogic) scenery could be used on both, I think because of FS4 being first to market the Wow! factor for ATP wasn't as great.Take Care,Paul

I know... I thought about a few combat sims, probably Jane's F-18, because of the atmosphere of landings and things. I remember the comments of the LSO during final. Wasn't sure, was long ago, was in a hurry, so I, well, stopped there.

I spent a "few" hours flying Thailon ? Airbus A320 it had Loadsa books and charts and everything and you could go through the company Lufthansa i think it was and get promotion.It was a old program but all my first computer would run :)Green ground blue sky white runway

I still have ATP installed on my HD, and FS4. I feel it bad luck to remove either...I don't want to insult the ancestors to today's breed of flightsims! :)

Funny how nobody mentions FS2000 :-lolIT would win the Oskar for Most Stuttering Sim.Anyone with P4 2.2GHZ or some HighEnd AMD dare to install it and see if it stutters? ;-)Andy

FWIW, I still have the E/W maps that came with the disks...I used to use them for quick reference of mavigation points, until better software solutions came along...Sherman KaplanHighland Park Il

Paul,I will keep my criticism of certain aspects of your own Top 5 firmly in check here ! :-lolMy top 5 would be:-#1. FLIGHT UNLIMITED 3 -- You are already WELL aware that this would be my top pick, but you might not know that this must include the San Francisco scenery area from FU2. Frankly, this is better than the Seattle scenery in FU3, since it has a better variety of terrain, a wonderful Pacific coastline, and more convincing textures. To be honest, FU3 is little more than a supercharged version of FU2, but then FU2 was a revelation in flight simulators.#2. FLIGHT UNLIMITED 2 -- Now that was a difficult one to work out ! The San Francisco Bay area terrain is still the best scenery in ANY flight simulator (in my humble opinion), and the superb ATC, wonderful floatplane physics, and fantastic weather effects were miles ahead of anything seen before. Easily the greatest advance in GA flight simulators ever made.#3. FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2002 -- Now don't tell me that this wasn't a shock, Paul ! It has taken me a while to start liking FS2002, but it's all beginning to come together now. It's worth noting that I'm only interested in flying around UK airspace, but that allows me to concentrate on developing a relatively small area with quality add-ons. Gary Summons' UK 2000 airports are incredible, and an upcoming photorealistic scenery package covering England and Wales is looking VERY PROMISING !#4. FLIGHT SIMULATOR 4 -- You are already well aware that I prefer the admittedly basic graphics of FS4 to the awful mess of shimmering textures that were included in FS5. Mallard produced some decent add-ons (Hawaii and Tahiti were the best), and I just preferred the uncluttered look.#5. FLIGHT UNLIMITED -- I really should have spent far more time with this one than I actually did. The graphics and flight physics were revolutionary for their time, but the limited options available to the user restricted its appeal. Still a classic though.Best Wishes,Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

- FS2K2 - Sometimes I get bored of it but I always come back to it! It's flexible enough to allow addons like PIC and DF Archer and others. Between it and its predecessors, I estimate I have about 6000 hours. - PS1.3 - The only sim that doesn't attempt to entertain (but does!). The DOS interface is just too painful now though.- Falcon 4 - great out of the box IMO but even better now with all the "patches"!- Fly! - the sequel didn't work for me but I vividly recall the thrill of stumbling through the Baron cockpit, blindly flicking switches, while a gentle rain tapped on the windshield.- Microprose F19 - an oldy but I think it was the first serious sim I bought (even more serious than MSFS4). It had a thick manual, tons of charts, and about a dozen disks! Ahhh how I miss the old Microprose!Other honorable mentions: Chuck Yeagers first sim (so smooth!), ATP (I still use the manual and tables), European Airwar, B17 2 (I've forgotten how to fly it now but I was pretty immersed in it when I bought it)David