Sign in to follow this  
largo222

Controller gives heading after takeoff thar does not follow airway

I have v4. Use it w/default boeings. After takeoff depature gives me a heading which does not allow me to join the airway. The heading given keeps the aircraft to the left of the proper course to join the airway and thus the approach and landing are not accurate unless I override and get scolded by controller.What am I doing wrong?? Otherwise love the progtam.Frank

have you read the manual's tutorials, that deal with departure procedures? is the first checkpoint within 30 miles of the departure airport?if departure gives you a heading, doesn't sound like a departure procedure. since it is not a departure procedure, you will need to fly the headings you are given. when departure hands you off to center, you should be on a heading almost directly to the next checkpoint.when you are told "resume own navigation", that is not permission to make a hard left or right, so you can get on the FMC's line.on the approach end, if you want to fly a specific approach into an airport, you should request an iap approach when you talk to approach.this is covered in the manual, both in the body of the manual, and also in the tutorials.jd

Let me clarify "resume own navigation" for avionics. When you receive that command you need to proceed DIRECT-TO the checkpoint that you have been cleared to. You do not return to your original path but create a new one from your present position to the expected checkpoint as illustrated in the status section of the RC window.For a Boeing FMC such as used in the PMDG 737NG, on the LEGS page, LSK the waypoint name you are expected to go to. Do this even if the waypoint is on line 1 of the LEGS page. This will put it in the scratchpad. Then always LSK line 1 of page 1 of the LEGS page (you next waypoint). EXE should illuminate. Click the EXE button and your new path from the present position to the desired waypoint should show on the ND.If you get a DISCO error see what is missing and close the path.Once the new path is on the ND you can use LNAV.If you are using a GPS follow the same principle for going from your present position (PPOS) to the desired waypoint according to your GPS procedures.For arrivals, it is best that your earliest STAR waypoints be in your flight plan (for RC and FS) and hopefully agree with your FMC database. That should carry you until you can request an IAP from approach. My procedure is to use a selected STAR from a third party planner and export the plan to both FS for RC and to the FMC format required (ie, PMDG) and then import that plan into the FMC. At arrival time when the runway is announced I just enter as a guide the approach (right side of ARR page) giving me the extended runway waypoints. You can use these to also fly an IAP using the aircraft navigation.To get flexible altitude limits on departure or arrival from that commanded by RC, check the NOTAMS option for each airport. This does not negate the need to flyover (within limits) waypoints showing in RC to get credit for being on course. Also be aware that the extended RC menu allows you to request an ATC clearance for a direct-to a checkpoint on the menu list.