Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

Any Knowledge of "Easy Gauge Creator" ? ? ?

Guest Heather 636

I've been asked if I'd like to try my hand at creating gauges. Egads!! I wouldn't have the first idea where to even start! But I did promise to keep an eye open on this topic for him.I did, however, see this thread regarding a product called "Easy Gauge Creator." Anyone ever tried it out? If so, what was your opinion of it?The product itself can be viewed at:[bluesky-net.de/english/FrameEN.htm]CheersHeather

Hi Heather,I took a look at the page when it was first announced. From what I could tell, it could only produce certain types of gauges. I don't think it is worth it.I personally use FS Panel Studio http://www.fspanelstudio.com/I have modified many gauges with this program including the new xml gauges with no problems. I admit I havn't made a gauge from scratch yet with this program.Hope this helps,Ed

I too tried the demo, thinking I would be able to create gauges...I dont have the degree in rocket science needed just to use the demo program. The demo I thought was useless, further still I couldnt find out just how much it was and like the previous post I too purchased Fs panel designer...now I can create panels and gauges too !George

Guest Heather 636

Thanks guys!I'll forward this topic on to the interested party.Hope he hasn't gone out and bought "EGC" yet.Cheers!Heather

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,You can't make gauges with FS Panel Studio, only panels.I wrote to Marcell (author of Easy Gauge Creator), and was not impressed with the answers so far, although making sinple steam gauges would appear to work fine. The cost is very high ($55 for the standard package, and $130 to be able to edit the C++ code), and he doesn't take credit cards as of yet.If you want to see a basic Q&A e-mail I sent with response, please e-mail me and I'll forward it to you.

Actaully-I made most of my custom gauges with FS Panel Studio on the B33 Debonair (excluding the custom reality xp ones).Fs Panel studio allows you to very easily replace bitmaps of existing xml and standard gauges. If you want to dabble with the xml programming fs studio also allows you to change the text easily for each gauge or gauge component. Although I have never programmed xml I was able to figure out how to change the code to make my .bmp images from pictures go in the the proper place-and also change the reading parameters.I did try the demo of easy gague creator-couldn't really see that it could do much more than I can do with with fs panel studio-and fs panel studio is a lot more cheaper and for me easier to use.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Scott Campbell

Geof,Yes, I'm aware that you can edit bitmaps. I'm also aware that you can make minor changes in the xml text, but you can't make new gauges. If you want to make a gauge that has completely different text and display and works differently (correctly in many cases), then Panel Studio won't do that. Panel Studio won't even allow the color change of standard gauge text, which I would really like to have on something like the Lear AP.

YOu are correct-I guess the other program will allow totally new gauges. It looked to me like the "new" gauges it allows though are pretty simplistic and no advantage to what a program like fs panel studio can allow you to do-and at least for me I didn't find it very intuitive to use.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest Heather 636

To get down to the nitty-gritty, I was looking into this for Charles Wood, President of DC Airways.Here's what he's after:Quote:I've had several e-mails with Easy Gauge ... pretty helpful on information, not too helpful on my needs. I was looking for a digital elev trim indicator, like we used on our FS98 and FS2000 training panel, but which did not function properly in FS2002. Easy Gauge tells me that that gauge is doable in FS2002 and with their software.The other, more important gauge, is the Autorudder on-off panel-mounted switch ... this is needed by pilots flying the Sperry who have no rudder pedals. For instance, fly the ILS/glide slope with Sperry ... autorudder must be off ... then transition for flare-out, etc ... disengage Sperry, and now autorudder must be On ... but one has to go to the Realism page to switch autorudder back on..Easy Gauge tells me they think the provisions to control that function from the panel are not available in FS2002. i.e., a Microsoft problem.Roy Chaffin briefly tried to create that switch for the FS2002 training panel, but admitted defeat on the short time he put on it.Unquote.If any of you guys know how to do what he is seeking, I have no doubt that you would have his gratitude. Oh, I guess it would help for you to know what aircraft this is for; the DCAirways DC-3 by Jan Vissers, FS2000 format (not sure about the new GMAX model coming out shortly).Sincerest regards,Heather

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,All FS98/FS2000 auto-coord/auto-rudder switches work with Peter's new FSUIPC version. He added this feature after we traded a few e-mails. It looks like it was pretty easy for him to do. The only thing is that the indication of on or off won't show in the 2K2 realism page.All my digital elevator trim indicator gauges work just fine in 2K2. They're on just about all my panels. Your friend needs to remember that the trim can be set to work in tenths or hundredths, and the number may not increase/decrease until a full integer value is reached. For example, wuth my 747-400 air file, you will trim up or down about 5 notches before the number changes.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks for that info Scott. This stuff is completely out of my league. I'm still playing around with repainting and installing scenery. Next will be figuring out all this AI business. Someday I might even create that FS1960 I was talking about; that is if I'm not completely brain-fried by then.I'll pass on your info.Thanks!Heather

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,Do yourself a huge favor and don't get too involved with all the stuff for FS. It gets really tiresome and tedious and frustrating after a while. :-boomYou should see all the hair I pulled out working on the first 14 controller voice sets for RC. :-grnmdI should have listened to my mom when she told me some years ago to get out of FS development and start smoking crack. It's cheaper and less hard on my health. ;-)

Guest Heather 636

:-lolI'll keep that in mind Scott (how embarrassing) but geewhiz, it's SO addicting. And I thought "The Sims" were fun.Some stuff, I have learned the hard way, like what happens when you try to use two incompatible mesh files. The result was a patchwork California. Of course, I didn't discover the culprit until now being halfway through reinstalling scenery after starting over again at square one to get rid of the problem. Pulling hair our? TELL ME about it!!Why do you think I drink so much coffee, it's cheaper than PROZAC.Cheers!HeatherP.S., If it wasn't for all the helpful and nice people here at AVSIM, I'd probably be bald by now.

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,>I'll keep that in mind Tom but geewhiz, it's SO addicting. And I thought "The Sims" were fun(Scott looks at name on his shirt..."Tom")...hmmm, wrong shirt. ;-)I have a program I made for The Sims that lets you give as much money to your familes as you want. I don't work, just laze around my mansion and take dates to Downtown (and back home of course for the Valentine bed) to get all the "friends" for my wife's, the governor, job requirement. ;-) When you send me your pilot set I'll send it to you. ;-)

Guest Heather 636

Sorry about that Scott! Will being still on my first cup of coffee for the day get me off the hook? Forgive me?;) Heather