Sign in to follow this  

Converting MDL files to FS2002 format

Guest DSN

Hello all,Just a question to ponder. Is it possible to convert a FS2000 MDL to FS2002 format. I understand that FS2000 MDL files are in Windows DLL format while the new FS2002 MDL files are in RIFF (Resource Interchange File Format). The reason I ask is, you can use FS2000 aircraft in FS2002 and they appear to function correctly, but they do not work well as AI aircraft (ie missing or static landing gear, prop motion etc). So I'm wondering if a program could be created to convert the animation or display items that do not work as AI with FS2000 MDL's into FS2002 MDL format? If it is possible, than any aircraft created for FS2000 should be able to be converted for use as AI aircraft with function landing gear etc.thanks-David

Well, I'm not a designer so I can't get real technical, but this is what I have picked up --The default FS-series aircraft were built using either Gmax or it's big-brother program 3DStudioMax (I think). The exported models from the -max programs speak the same language as FS. Since Gmax has been released as a free download and the necessary plugins packaged with FS2002 Pro, many designers have switched to (or started with) Gmax.Prior to Gmax, most designers were using FS Design Studio (FSDS). While somewhat easy to use, the exported models weren't quite in sync with FS, and some internal workarounds were required. For example, in the visual model, the landing gear would be programmed to lower when the "G" key is pressed, however, the sim wouldn't interpret that as landing gear -- it would see just another moving part. That's why you won't see the gear on AI planes -- the AI would lower it's gear, but there was no FS-language gear in the model. The AI wouldn't be pressing the "G" key, so there wouldn't be anything to trigger the visuals.Many CFS2 designers have been using a programming language called SCASM to edit the model. This is how they would get the AI to use the visual gear, use native key commands, and get the plane to break when shot up. I get the impression SCASM is somewhat of a black art, and I don't know if it is used before or after the .mdl file is compiled. While it may be possible to edit these older models to work properly in FS2002 and as AI, it's probably not really worth it with all the new Gmax planes coming out.Like I said, I'm not a designer, so I'm probably a little inaccurate, but that seems to be the gist of it.