Sign in to follow this  

ch pro rudders usb - rudder innefective, help!

i noticed on my c421 that when i bank lt or rt that i don't have enough of rudder to keep the ball centered (oh, i should mention that im using ch yoke pro usb as well) so i looked at some past archives here and someone mentioned to change the rudder effectiveness and i did and that did the trick, now is this the correct way to fix this problem? or am i going to get some unrealistic flight behaviors because i changed that.?? ( i changed it from 1 to 5 (a tad hot) then back to 4)i have been through the fsuipc thing many times, didn't seem to help at allif you look at my fsuipc.cfg file it shows:ruder=-16384,-512,512,16384what else should i do??any suggestion would be greatthanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Hi Brian,There a few things you can check first.1. Are the pedals properly calibrated in the Windows-Controller menu ?(I guess they are)2. In FS2K2, menu Options-Controls-Sensitivities, make sure that Sensitivity slider is set to Max and NullZOne is set to Min3. Trivial, but I mention it anyway: make sure that option AUTORUDDER is unchecked.4. In FSUIPC joystick section: check the rudder axis by observing the OUTPUT value: with full rudder left to right, the OUTPUT value should change from -16384 to 16384.If not, with the SET buttons, recalibrate. I.o.w. with max. rudder, click on the SET button, resulting in the OUTPUT value being set to +/- 16384 whatever the INPUT value is. Note: after you done that, and close FS2K2, the rudder line in FSUIPC.ini could look different than what you describe; e.g. -15500, -512, 512, 15000, meaning that for INPUT value -15500 FSUIPC set the OUTPUT value to a full -16384.If the above is all OK (meaning your rudder is perfectly calibrated), I guess the modelling of the C421 is not very accutate if you still can't keep the ball centered.And then your only option is to increase the Rudder sensitivity in the aircraft.cfg file. I can't tell whether this gives unrealistic flight behaviour in other situations than turns (like during taxiing) but this will always be a compromise.Rob

Just wondering if the CH Rudders have a centering spring of some sort. Thinking about buying, but am afraid they may be too loose.Regards,CostasKLWMDell Dimension 4400 Pentium 4 at 1.7 GHz640MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHzNvidia GeForce2 MX400 (2832)20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive48x Variable CD-ROM DriveMicrosoft Windows XP

Yes, the CH ProPedals USB have a centering spring. By the way, you should NOT attempt to calibrate them in Game Controllers control panel. They are are self-calibrating when you plug them in. If you attempt to calibrate them in the control panel, they probably will not work correctly. CH Products states this either in the documentation or on their website. If you have already attempted to calibrate them, you will need to unplug the pedals from the USB port. Then you will need to go to the System control panel, and then to the Device Manager. You want to make sure that you remove any entry related to your pedals. This sometimes shows up as "HID Compliant blah blah". If you have other USB devices (such as a keyboard, mouse, other joysticks) you may have other entries that also start with "HID Compliant..." Note that the entry may also already be gone from when you unplugged the pedals -- this depends on your motherboard and how good the USB controller is. If you have a more modern motherboard and an up-to-date BIOS, you probably won't have to do this part. Now you can plug in the pedals again. One more thing: Don't do any of this with Flight Simulator running. It won't work right. Make sure you close out of FS first!That being said, there's another not-so uncommon problem with the ProPedals. CH Products uses cermaic potentiometers which tend to get dust and plastic particles in them. This causes them to become erratic or possibly to even fail completely. This can sometimes be fixed by taking the pedals apart (there are a ton of screws, but it is an uncomplicated setup) and using a can of compressed air to try to blow the dust out of the pots. We did this to one of the sets we own. We found a ton of plastic dust inside the pedals that was scraped from the molding with the friction of the medals moving back and forth. We added a little bit of vaseline to the running track to try to prevent this in the future. And that's about all I know about the pedals!