Sign in to follow this  
Guest CrashGordon

VFR

Guest CrashGordon

In the real world, it is possible to fly VFR without a flight plan filed. In such cases, you do have to interact with ATC, at times. I tried to get RC to load without a flight plan, but it won't.If it is somewhere in the manual, I haven't found it. It's a big manual, and I've had it less than a day.Is there a way to do this?

Not in current version 4.It is being discussed for version 5 but if you are just looking for tower, ground, and FSS I do not know what will be provided without a plan. Real world for safety flight plans are encouraged in the US and in some other jurisdictions are becoming mandatory.Certain commercial operations here are required to file a plan regardless if they are VFR only.What are you looking for?

Guest CrashGordon

I'll give you some examples.I'm flying a PC6 in the boondocks in Kenya. the strip I take off from is uncontrolled, with no tower. I roam about, possibly landing in other places in the boondocks, some may not even be air strips, but I decide I want to go to Nairobi, on a whim.Another possibility. I want to do touch and goes at a local airport. I suppose, in that case, I could file a plan with the departure and destination, the same, but I havn't tried it.Or, I want to file the good old "VFR North".

Basically you are requesting without flight following from an uncontrolled airport to a controlled airport if you are talking about HKJK. This has an approach facility and you would have to contact them perhaps "filing while enroute". This is on the wishlist for V5.HKNW, the GA airport, has no communications listed (therefore uncontrolled) including approach. Depending on their area rules you might need to use Nairobi approach which would lead you to either an uncontrolled IFR approach under your own navigation (if published) or a normal VFR entry. Again this is on the wishlist for V5.VFR departure for V5 is in early development although attention has been shifted to ground traffic issues. It will be revisited. VFR arrival was in a very early stage. Both controlled and uncontrolled airports were being tested in a variety of situations such as residing in Class B airspace where a controlled departure (after initial take-off) is required through the control zone.RC5 is taking a long time to release because the staff is trying to incorporate all and mixed type of controlled and uncontrolled airspace within flights. This has required almost a complete rewrite of code. What items will make the first release of V5 is not sure yet but the requested feature list is pretty much locked. User requests have been noted.Today in RC4 you need an IFR plan before startup although you can start from an uncontrolled airport filing via simulated phone call to FSS (or the equivalent) which will deliver your CD. You will be contacting the appropriate departure or center control in the air and at that point you would have to follow the plan. If you are going to an uncontrolled airport you will be taken to a suitable navaid or checkpoint and turned loose (I believe). You can always request to cancel IFR.FWIW in some very security conscious countries flight plan filing is mandatory and free flight VFR is not allowed.

Guest CrashGordon

Thanks for your information. I suppose I will have to see how to adapt my VFR flights to the features that are available.