Sign in to follow this  
Guest Temp

Squawk Code

Guest Temp

I've had RC4.3 for FSX since it was officially released. I was flying a short trip IFR in the UK and for the very first time this evening and once the night before, I was given a second Squawk code about half way or more into my journey. Is that supposed to happen? I was taken by surprise when half way or more in to my flight, the Controller acknowledged me on a handover and proceeded by giving me another Squawk code. I thought your Squawk code, given to you by CD at the departure airport was your identification number for the whole trip.

I was flying a short trip IFR in the UK... You're correct - the chances of this happening on a short UK internal flight in the real world are negligible and would only be as the result of an unforeseen technical problem.I thought your Squawk code, given to you by CD at the departure airport was your identification number for the whole trip.That's the basic idea. ICAO uses a system call Originating Region Code Allocation Method (ORCAM) which divides the world into regions and allocates a group of squawks to each of those regions. Unfortunately, there are only 4096 codes available under the current system and a significant number of those are "reserved" for special purposes so there just aren't enough codes to give each region a discrete set of codes although adjacent regions are usually protected. If your flight is within a single region - such as your short UK flight - then you shouldn't normally get a change but on a longer flight through 2 or more regions, you will almost certainly get a squawk change at some time.The good news is that the rules governing a squawk change in RC have been tightened up for version 5 and, outside the US, you shouldn't get a squawk change when transferred internally from sector to sector.Pete http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

Guest Temp

>The good news is that the rules governing a squawk change in>RC have been tightened up for version 5 and, outside the US,>you shouldn't get a squawk change when transferred internally>from sector to sector.>Pete Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did think it was a bit odd to get a second Squawk code on a short flight within the UK. I'm glad this will be addressed in version 5. As I said though, It's only happened twice to me since having RC4.3 so no problem. I sure wasn't expecting it though!Thanks.Graham.

sorry, i missed the flying in the UK part of the post.i'm surprised this happened.jd