Sign in to follow this  

WinXP Registration Question

This weekend I will be building a brand new system. I am going to put Windows 98 back on my current system and give it to my father. I want to install my Windows XP Home Version on my new system (I own Win98 full version and the XP upgrade). When the OS asks me to register on the Microsoft Website how will MS know that I am not attempting to install XP on a second PC and attempting to run 2 installations of it? They will relaize its a different PC running my version of XP, right? Do i have to call Microsoft or something?? Thanks to anyone who has experinced this!!!John-PaulToronto

I had a simular situation and i think that after 120 days they no longer keep track. If it has been far less than that you will be prompted to call MS to get a new registration code. I would think you could Just tell them your old pc fried and you are just replacing it. Dont think there will be a problem.I have been running Xp Home ever since it came out. I have done numerous re-installs on the same system with no problem even after changing HD's, Video cards, ect... this past weekend i built a brand new machine. New Box, Motherboard, ect.... Did a clean install of Xp Home and had no problems what so ever. Both Pc's work flawless with Xp Home.4 what its worth,Ed:-beerchug

So, are you saying that, conceivably, I could continue to run XP on my old system and install it on the new machine and I wouldn't run into hassles from MS or OS expiry dates??John-Paul

I am only telling you what happened to me. I heard all these stories at first when Xp came out about the registration. I am telling you what that i did not have any problems having it on my old Pc which i am using right here and installing it on my new Pc that i just built this past weekend and did a new clean install of Xp Home onto it. I believe i had no problem because i think the registration rolls over after 120 day's. In theory though lets say you want to put Xp home on another pc and you install it, and the registration part comes up and you register it, the you get a prompt to call MS, you call them and lets say maybe your old Pc took a dive and no longer functions and your just installing it on YOUR fixed Pc, i would think they would maybe go , Ok here you go. In theory of course.....I had no problems registering on my new Pc and was never prompted to call MS. Yhats why i think the registration rolls over after 120 days because its been just a little over that from when i installed on my old Pc. But, of course , I am not in your situation.Ed

Guest PhilC

I'm not the M$ police or a lawyer but I don't think that you can "legally" give your old copy of 98 away. If you had the full XP version and not an upgrade it probably wouldn't matter... "legally". Just a thought.

Guest firehawk44

I recently replaced my MB and processor but did not upgrade the hard drive. However, I had to reinstall Win XP to get the system running properly again. When I went to activate the product again I received a message to call a 1-800 number wherein Microsoft asked me for a 50-digit identification key (this they provide in the message telling you to call a 1-800 number) and then provided me with a 42-digit confirmation key that I inputed when I attempted to activate again. It was fast and easy (except for writing down the 42-digit key). The person at MS only requested the reason my system had changed and I told him I just replaced my MB and processor (think they need this for their statistics). There was no interrogation and I still have my fingernails... It was a very pleasant experience and can be done anytime 24 hours a day. I recommend calling after normal work hours as the traffic may be lighter at Microsoft.You may not have to go through all of the above if you just replaced your MB. You're allowed to reinstall XP an unlimited number of times if you have the same hardware when you first activated. I believe they allow up to 3 hardware changes before you have to call them. I also upgraded my video card earlier in the year and think that put me over my limit of system changes. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm giving it to my father... keeping the CD I own. I need it to re-install XP whenever that happens.J.

Do what you feel is proper. I make no judgments. FWIW, Upgrade licenses stay with the PC originally purchased for OR the new PC built to replace the old. Either case, only one PC can be turned on at any time with a license and an upgrade. Full versions can go anywhere.If you find you are out of compliance, and it moves you, have your father purchase an XP upgrade too! MS deserves to get paid, if they deserve to get paid. Best,bt