Sign in to follow this  
2dogtripper

Radar Contact killed Iron Maiden

I was flying Ed Force One (Maiden's world tour 752, with singer Bruce Dickinson in the left seat) last night from SAEZ to SCEL. It was dark, I complied with RC's instructions to descend from my cruise altitude of 34000 to FL140 and consequently flew into the east side of the Andes. I reflew the leg today in the daylight, having ticked the notams box. Same thing.....RC would have me decsend to FL140 while still east of the mountains. This time I persisted in maintaining FL340 until the first point on the star. The notams did not kick in until I was close to the IAF. Is this some sort of bug? Does RC not know about the Andes? Dean PurcellCNK4Up the Irons!!

some how i don't think you were given one descent clearance from FL340 to FL140. there were probably some steps in between.i would suggest maybe choosing the pilot's discretion request after the first descent clearance, and avoiding the andesalso, what is the msa at the arrival airport, on the arrival airport screen?jd

You're correct JD, the descent to FL140 was in steps but was still into the mountains. The msa for SCEL on the airport screen is 9200. I did not have notams ticked the first flight, but on the second flight I had four or five controllers tell me to descend too early and did not get the discretionary descent until I was much closer to the arrival airport. Dean PurcellCNK4Up the Irons!!

if you have the comms, at FL340, you will have a 3-PD option. choose thatjd

OK, thanks. I did not notice that but should have been paying more attention to the star as well!!Dean PurcellCNK4Up the Irons!!