Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

STAR

Guest Alias

Hi,sometimes my STAR begins at over 30 miles from the airport, but anytime I have to tweak with the flight plan in order to be left in peace while passing the last waypoint to begin the procedure as the ATC gives me headings I don't care about.Is there any way to leave the flight plan as it is and extend the STAR acceptance from RC?Thank you Lorenzo

you could ask the approach controller for an iap approach, and fly the star the way you want toi think this is covered in the manualjd

Guest Alias

Well today I have tried again but no "IAP" was available...can you be more clear please?Thank youLorenzo

of course i canbut i would refer you to the manual firstwww.jdtllc.com/v4/rcv43.pdfspecifically page 56, 57page 126and of course the KMQY-KSYI tutorialhave you flown any of the tutorials?jd

Guest Alias

OK, back here again. I have read about IAP, but the tutorial you suggested refers to an arrival airport fully uncontrolled where centre will let you free to do, more or less, what you want. "Req. IAP approach" is part of the menu and that's fine, but when I'm flying to a fully controlled airport is different. Centre will pass me onto approach and only then I will be able to request an IAP. My problems begins if, while I'm already with centre, I need to begin my STAR (and it happens).Hope it's clear.Thank youLorenzo

In order for RC to start a STAR as far out as you wish that STAR's waypoints must be in your FS plan. These can be out as far as 130 nm or possibly more. Many planners have SID/STARS available in their database and on exporting to FMC's and FS .pln files convert these procedures to waypoints on export. These procedure points become a regular part of the .pln for RC and center will see them and act just like you are still in the enroute portion. Center does not care whether your waypoints are part of a STAR or not once you are enroute.If you have STARs that are runway specific then include the common to all waypoints of the STAR in your .pln file. That should bring you close enough to take vectors or declare an IAP approach to navigate as you wish. Usually for most situations the common waypoints exist to about thirty to forty miles out from destination.If you know for sure which will be your arrival runway you can include all the waypoints in your plan and on a switch to approach request that runway. The problem here is that weather and AI may then be in conflict.

put your star into your .pln filefly it up until you are told to contact approachapproach will tell you what runway to expectask for an iap approach, and request the runway and type of approach your star referencesapproach will approve it (you may be landing opposite ai taking off the same runway, but you did ask for it)when you are within 7 miles of the airport you will be switched to toweralso stars are discussed in the manual, pages 91-101 www.jdtllc.com/v4/rcv43.pdfjd

Hi,if you don't want to put the "long range star" into flight plan, maybe you can ask RC4 for a "Dev for Wx" (see manual page 151) after reaching the last waypoint to fly the star. And if you are within 70nm of the destination airport, it should be possible to ask for an iap approach. Haven't test it, but it should work.Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schroeder

Guest LuckyJim1001

I know it can be frustrating when RC vectors you away from your lovingly crafted STAR but think about what we are simulating here. IFR flight in a fully controlled ATC environment. What ATC say is not only final it is all that is allowed. Seen the movie 'Pushing Tin' ? There is a bit when the main character is on a plane and the stewardess tells him the Captain is in in control. He replies along the lines of "If that were true, we would be in trouble". ATC may not have their hand on the yoke but they are flying the plane. The pilots become autopilots at this point. Okay they retain the final word but you know what I mean. :-)I live near EGLL and being a geek spotter type listen in to ATC around the area. For certain they have a plan and do not give a hoot and what the FMC/STAR/Approach Plate may say. For a real blast get a simulation called 'London Control' and see what it is all about. Quite cool seeing the other side of things :-)On a more practical note, as said above, get your STAR WP's into the PLN file RC works with. Get to know how to reprogram your FMC with adhoc WP's SIDS and STARS. Happy flying.

and there is nothing stopping you from flying the star to the FAF. you just have to ask approach for the specific iap approach you want, when you contact approach.jd

>I know it can be frustrating when RC vectors you away from>your lovingly crafted STAR but think about what we are>simulating here. IFR flight in a fully controlled ATC>environment. >>What ATC say is not only final it is all that is allowed. Seen>the movie 'Pushing Tin' ? There is a bit when the main>character is on a plane and the stewardess tells him the>Captain is in in control. He replies along the lines of "If>that were true, we would be in trouble". >>ATC may not have their hand on the yoke but they are flying>the plane. The pilots become autopilots at this point. Okay>they retain the final word but you know what I mean. :-)>>I live near EGLL and being a geek spotter type listen in to>ATC around the area. For certain they have a plan and do not>give a hoot and what the FMC/STAR/Approach Plate may say. >>For a real blast get a simulation called 'London Control' and>see what it is all about. Quite cool seeing the other side of>things :-)>>On a more practical note, as said above, get your STAR WP's>into the PLN file RC works with. Get to know how to reprogram>your FMC with adhoc WP's SIDS and STARS. >>Happy flying.>>Good thread and good post. :)'London Control' - anyone knows where I can find more info about it?Thanks,Dirk.

>'London Control' - anyone knows where I can find more info>about it?>>Yep, www.londoncontrol.com will take you to their home page.>>http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpgThanks. Hehe, it looks like it doeesn't have any GFX at all. Is Tower Simulator by Wilco/FeelThere comparable somehow with LC?

Guest j-mo

>Thanks. Hehe, it looks like it doeesn't have any GFX at all.>Is Tower Simulator by Wilco/FeelThere comparable somehow with>LC?Depending on your desired level of realism, you will want to make sure if this is something you want before you purchase. Much has been written: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...36221&mode=full