Sign in to follow this  
Guest nigvilla

Kai Tak IGS 13 approach

Guest nigvilla

Just got hold of great new add-on for Kai Tak ,VHHX, and I don't care if it closed in 1998!Seriously though, the IGS 13 approach is confusing me a little. On a third party Flight Planner this shows up as a sort of skewed ILS feather so is it flown as part ILS part visual approach? ( Right Bank at Middle Marker I believe)I have seen other posts relating to FS9 suggest that RC cannot or will not set you up for this approach as it may for a more conventional ILS?I get more than a little confused with VOR's and NDB approaches so I usuually 'cheat' and ask RC for vectors to the ILS if you see what I mean.Any help appreciated for relative newcomer.Nigel ThomasUK

Hi Nigel,RC cannot vector you up for this particular approach (or any other specific one in the world) exactly as the charts show. But it doesn't mean you can't fly it though, as per the charts.RC can vector you for a standard approach, and if you want RC's help to make the landing, I suggest this is the best way to go.However, after contacting Approach you have the option of requesting a specific instrument approach to the runway (Request IAP). But this also means *you* have to read the charts and conduct the approach as pubslished, without RC's help. This is how you would fly the famous IGS13.As for actually flying the IGS13...there seems to be various tutorials and information out there to help/teach you the approach which will be a great read if you're interested in landing an airliner there. Remember RC provides the controllers, but its up to you to fly the plane ;)Let us know how you go, especially with requesting IAP approaches in RC. There are tutorials and sections in the manual which describe it all.Subs

Hi Nigel, RC cannot vector you up for this particular approach (or any other specific one in the world) exactly as the charts show. But it doesn't mean you can't fly it though, as per the charts. RC can vector you for a standard approach, and if you want RC's help to make the landing, I suggest this is the best way to go. However, after contacting Approach you have the option of requesting a specific instrument approach to the runway (Request IAP). But this also means *you* have to read the charts and conduct the approach as pubslished, without RC's help. This is how you would fly the famous IGS13. As for actually flying the IGS13...there seems to be various tutorials and information out there to help/teach you the approach which will be a great read if you're interested in landing an airliner there. Remember RC provides the controllers, but its up to you to fly the plane ;) Let us know how you go, especially with requesting IAP approaches in RC. There are tutorials and sections in the manual which describe it all. Subs
Well i do as this:after approach vectors me after i contacted it i ignore the instructions, request IAP approach and fly as filed (you need charts to do this)then, just after the outer marker you request visual and contact tower, then land as normal

mastery.jpg

Specs:

Windows 7 64bit / Intel Core i5-3550 @3.30 GHz / 8.00 Gb RAM / ATI Radeon HD 7800 2Gb

As stated, you definitely need a chart for this approach. Vectors will not work. The IGS-LLZ system is offset in angle and distance from the runway threshold just past the MM so the "wedge" can take you to the MM with altitude and horizontal guidance. The reason you can not get vectors to the wedge is that you must navigate tightly between the VOR IAF of CH at 112.3 crossing at 8,000 feet and the intercept in a modified right base to the LLZ heading (not the runway heading) "curling around" terrain obstacles of up to 4100 feet near the base leg. The famous "checkerboard" visual cue is just ENE of the MM and NNE of the RW NDB which is extremely close to the runway threshold.Also note that their are two base leg paths depending on your aircraft approach speed.I am looking at a scan of the April 1966 approach plate provided with a chart application I have. I'm sure there are newer ones. This chart is very detailed showing topographical information as well as flight paths.Never flown it, though.As far as RC in difficult terrain with complex approach paths you would definitely use the IAP approach method. This method would also let you fly closer in on the STAR doing your own navigation otherwise RC might break you off the STAR earlier for vectors and where the airport MSA is high RC4 might bring you in too high requiring a steep approach to the intercept.