Sibiu International Airport or Aeroportul International Sibiu (IATA: SBZ, ICAO: LRSB) serves the city of Sibiu. It is located in southern Transylvania, 3 km (1.9 mi) west of Sibiu and about 260 km (160 mi) northwest of Romania's capital city, Bucharest.
In 1943, the flying activities have been developed on a field (with grass) of 174 ha surface. The Lockheed operating planes belonged to the first Romanian operating airline - LARES. First routes were Bucharest – Sibiu – Arad and Bucharest – Sibiu – Oradea. In 1944, Sibiu was connected by air with some other cities like Bucharest, Brasov, Deva, Oradea and Targu-Mures. In 1959, it was inaugurated the airport building with two floors, control tower, waiting room for 50 passengers on each way (embarking and debarking) and a store-room.
In 1970, the airport was capable to operate during the night, due to the approach and runway guiding lights that have been installed. The concrete runaway was 2000m long and 30m wide. In 1975, radar facilities became operational and later in 1992, the airport was opened for international traffic, with flights to Stuttgart and Munich.
In 2006 - 2008, the airport passed through the most important rehabilitation program in its history, a €77 million investment in a new terminal building and in runway upgrade.
- photo real area surrounding the airport
- custom night lighting ( P3D v4 compatible )
- custom autogen
- accurate stands location and numbering
- terminal no.2 - the active terminal
- terminal no.1 - the old terminal
- control tower
- Sibiu Customs building
- vehicle hangars
- weather station
- helicopter hangar
- parking lots
Visit the SIBIU INTERNATIONAL Homepage for further details.