Sign in to follow this  

O/T: IAD Plane spotting locations?

I'm out in VA visiting the parents for the next several days and I'm wondering if anyone (Rob?) knows a good spot or two around Dulles that one can park their car and watch the airport and the airplanes? I believe there was an observation deck in the terminal, but since I flew myself out here I don't exactly have an airline ticket to get into the secure area.... if the deck is even open anymore. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.Steve Perry

Guest mmcevilley

Steve,Dulles is really not a good plane watching airport. If landings are being made to the north, then you can park just short of the Gate 2 entrance (access is off of Rt 28) and get a good look at the short final approahes to 01R. You can also go into the business park - (left off of Rt 50 onto Avion Parkway - I think) and see the approaches to 01L.With landings to the south you can go just north of Dulles and sit and watch approaches - but not landings.The BEST location for landings on 19R was the old RED/ORANGE satellite parking lots which I believe are now an employee only lot and I dont think public access is possible. However - if you want a real treat - forget Dulles. Wait for a day where landings are being made to the south at DCA and go to Gravely Park (its actually a boat slip or whatever you call those places where they plunk boats into the water).It is located about 1/4 mile north of the approach end of 19 at DCA and you can stand on the extended centerline and have landing aircraft pass directly overhead at about 100-200 ft. As an added bonus, you get a beautiful view of DC.Keep in mind that this time of year it is a popular location - sometimes you cant find a place to park or sit. I've seen entire families go out with chairs, music, food - just to watch planes land!If landings are being made to the north at DCA, then you can go to the employee parking lot which is located adjacent to the south satellite parking lot. There are no checks for entrance and you can park just S/W of the approach end of 01. That place is not even known about - I've never seen anyone parked there observing landings.-michael

Guest mmcevilley

Steve,Regarind observing approaches to IAD 01L - correction - it's a RIGHT turn off of Rt 50 West onto Avion Parkway and into the business park.-michael