Sign in to follow this  

Clearing the FMC during Layover

All,Is there a way to clear the just-completed flight plan out of the FMC while sitting on the ground after a flight? Sure would make things more realistic when flying back-to-back flights (for a VA, for example) if I could clear the FMC and enter in a new flight plan without having to go out to the desk top and restart Fly!II.

Guest tonyc

what happens if you shut down the plane? Anyway, it's dangerous to leave the plane running during lay overs, unless you're picking up army rangers.:-hahtony

Tony,I generally leave the power on...APU only of course. Some of the baggage handlers are cute, and I'd hate to suck that little blonde in company shorts into an engine!I hadn't thought of going cold and dark, since you don't usually do that in real life.One option I'm going to try today is to load a saved route.

Guest captbulldog

>I hadn't thought of going cold and dark, since you don't usually do that in real life.Curious. What do pilots actually do in real life when parked at the gate.Also, have to tried deleting the origin airport in route page?

Preston,Yep. Deleting the origin airport in the route page just about guarantees an FMC failure...the dreaded dll exception.

Guest captbulldog

Wow. I guess that doesn't work in the 757. Works great in the 767 (dare I say in PIC?) though.Does loading a saved flight plan works as you said you would try?

I use this method- works fine for me,Say you've just done KMIA-KATL and want to go to KORD, go to the INIT page and POS, were you typed in the REF airport it will say KMIA, don't delete it just type KATL and replace it, then go to the ROUTE page, don't delete the origin airport, just type KATl and replace the KMIA, then type KORD and replace the destination airport (which should read KATl for the flight you just completed) and replace it. Then you can type in the route. If you do get the .DLL error and can't type in the route in the ROUTE page, go to LEGS and type it in their, that always beats the error.Hope this helpsRic

Ric,I had the same idea this morning and tried it on the turnaround between my KPHX - KSFO and return flights. I was able to reenter the INIT POS location, but was not able to change the origin or arrival airports. Hmmm.Might be operator error, since you say it works for you. I'll give it a shot next time I've got a back-to-back series of flights.Thanks!