Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikealpha

737 flight dynamics, etc.

Guest mikealpha

Thanks Larry ! Your daughter visited Berlin a longer time than me. Hope she enjoyed it. I live in the Black Forest, more or less far away from Berlin. However, sounds very much like PMDGs FS debut will be a winner. I think that's a nice conclusion of this thread ;) !Mike

Guest mikealpha

Larry, just one more remark to add, as I just tried the flight model improvement for the default C182 on the Real Air site. That is a drastic improvement !In fact, that major problem with many FS flight models is mentioned in their readme and describes in just a few sentences what I tried to say in a dozen of messages :>> Stability does not mean lack of fluidity. But fluidity does not mean jerky either. In particular pitch control should be adequate but never jerky. We find the default FS2002 prop aircraft extremely jerky in pitch...>>That's right on target, unfortunately also for many jets !But nice to see it can be cured to a remarkable extend !Mike

Also try the RealAir 172 update available in the Avsim library. This is a very recent update ..........if you don't already have it.L.Adamson

Guest mikealpha

Larry,thanks for pointing me to the RealAir stuff. I have to admit, I rarely touched light GA planes. I have quite some flight time in the 172/182 and found the FS flight models too disappointing. So I used jets only, as least the imagination it could be right helps a lot. In that regard it's not really a good idea to sit down in Full Sims :).Anyway, Rob Youngs flight models are magic. He captures the stability of the 172/182 very well and the jerkiness is gone. Once fine trimmed, the planes stay were they should in clear FS weather. Also no doubt the most authentic and smooth sideslips !I thought that's not possible with the FS flight model, so I somewhat stand corrected .>> You will find the controls very responsive, but at the same time a very fine degree of control can be applied in all stages of flight. You can set a precise climb speed with trim and this aircraft will hold that speed exactly, from 100 to 12000 feet or soThat's a quote from the SF260 manual and that's were props and jets are a bit in the same boat (please note, I said a bit, no comparison intended). It's remarkable how agile and responsive a 737 really is. If you want it! At least that was my impression in the full sim. But at the same time if you want subtle changes you can have that as well. I sometimes try to imagine I have some virtual passengers in the FS cabin who want to have their glass of tomato juice stay on the table and feel comfortable. To make a long story short, if anyone could recreate a similar fine degree of control for an airliner, I'd probably be the most happy simmer on the planet. Fingers crossed for the 737NG ;)Mike