Sign in to follow this  

Anyone find and solve this weather problem???

Hi, First, I can't get a screenshot to work, so will describe this weather problem I've had--maybe someone else has solved it. I set up using both global and local scenarios, heavy rain, 8/8 overcast cumulous clouds with bases maybe 500 ft, tops around 10000 ft, to simulate lousy weather to practive ILS approaches. What I see is perfect murk using the 2D cockpit view, but when I change to side views or use the 3D view, the hills and autogen trees go white, there is a blue clear sky band filling 2/3's of the windscreen, and a narrow which band at the top of view. Changing to spot view shows plane flying in complete murk, but using "Active Camera" fly-by views, plane flies through overcast but when close to "camera", that blue band of clear sky appears briefly, then plane flies into murky sky again. So far have found this with default Baron and 172 about equally. Have set sliders all over the place, and found that effect is pretty much independent of siders that control texture size, distance, etc. Since the blue band appears briefly during flyby, I'm suspecting somewhere my system is running out of texture memory, maybe in video card?? (Some of you can guess, I'm tryiing to rationalize a GeForce4 TI with 128MB) My system is P4, 2.0; 512MB RDRAM, ATI Radeon 8500(latest Catalyst 2.1 driver), 64 MB memory). So, sorry for the verbiage, but has anyone encountered this and licked it?? Thanks in advance!Richard Ball

Well, nobody commented but that's understandable. I just fixed the problem, and it is entirely related to those new Radeon drivers released this week. I reinstalled the previous Omega Plutonium 1071 driver and problem went away. So fellow Radeon users, avoid latest ATI drivers if you want to fly through heavy overcast using virtual cockpit!Richard Ball