Sign in to follow this  

Whats better, XP pro or XP home?

What is the difference between Windows XP PRO and Windows XP home?Which of the two is better for Flight Simming?thanks, Alex CYUL :-wave Don't count the years in your life, count the life in your years.Pentium III 933MHz256megs ram30.7 gig HDVisionTek GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR52x CD-ROMCable modemWindows XPTTX 17" monitorLG12x8x32x cd-rwCH products flightsim yoke USB LECH products Pro Pedals USB

This is just me ok but I tried both and home edition i found Slower than 98 and did not like it and removed it after my fps drops around 6 fps and flightsim became jerky after the change over .I reinstalled everything including xp home and it was worse so i went back to 98 then I got xp pro and thinking I would try it and I never went back to 98 it was great :)So for me home edition was not good but it is just me Anniette xxxxxxxxxx

I initally ran FS2002 on my Pentium III/Viper 770 Ultra & Windows 98. It all worked rather well!Now it's been installed on a Athlon 1900XP/Geforce3Ti500 & Windows XP (home) since December of last year. Works great with hardly any problems at all. Excellent smooth graphics & only a few recent lockups involving 3rd party aircraft. L.Adamson

Hi Alex!I dont think that one or the other is better for flight simming. I obviously dont know what else you use your computer for but I see that you are not using multi processors and I doubt if you would need the more advanced features of XP Pro. (I use XP Home)Have a look here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/default.asp and compare the two versions!XP Home is cheaper too!Murphy

I would not put XP in unless I had 512 Megs+, because I feel XP will run slower than win 98SE for gaming.Rememer when win 98 came out they cliamed 32 megs was mini, but was slow,even 64 megs was not that great, but things are good at 128+ megs, and windows seems to run smoothly.We are at the same situation with XP. It's cliamed you need 128 megs mini, but feel if you want XP to fly, you need a lot more than this, and would seem slower than win 98.So for me unless I have 512+ megs then XP is a waste of time, if your into gaming as you may find it slower than win 98.It does seem XP, even though it's good, is a memory hog compared to win 98, as the mini specs are 4 times the memory specs than win 98.I work on the idea that when your running 4X the minium memory needed then the operating system is working at it's optium, so for win 98 this is 128 megs for the optium speed, and XP would be 512 megs for optium speed.

Alex - There is no difference between the two from the perspective of flight simming. But I'll guarantee you that, on your system, neither will run MSFS as well as Win98. The P3/933 will have to use a considerable number of CPU cycles just to handle the overhead of WinXP (and it's not inconsequential) and 256MB of RAM just isn't enough to handle XP and FS2002 both. So, unless you have another reason to go to XP I'd stay with Win98. But if you do install XP you might want to set it up as a dualboot with Win98 as that will give you the best of both - sim on Win98 and use XP for everything else.Trip