Sign in to follow this  

New Flight Sims

Now I know that Microsoft will be having new versions of Flight Simulator, like Fs2004,Fs2006 etc, But are there any new Flight Simulators that are going to be released to compete with Microsoft? I'am asking this because I have been away a while and haven't heard much of any new Flight Sims being released in the anytime future. Thanks, Chris

I have heard of none in the simulated general aviation, commercial aircraft market. Chances of Fly III, or a resurrection of Pro-Pilot by another company that bought the rights are very "iffy"Personally ----- with the advancements of MSFS & the related add-on market, I think the chance of competetors making a realistic profit is slim! In the meantime, X-Plane keeps adding on & changing itself.......... so who knows?L.Adamson

I don't think so, most publisher are not interested to spend millions $$ especially on cv simulation, fixing crap bugs and update after the release. Microsoft always look new GA Simulation for new idea etc.

What about the Flight Unlimited series?

Sadly, Looking Glass Studios went under about 2 years ago.While their excellent Thief series of games was picked up by another company, I have not heard that the same happened with their Flight Unlimited series.From what the guys in the company said, they started out just creating software. They made an attempt at also becoming a publisher, and that is what threw them into the red.--Tony

Hi Chris,I would like to suggest you look at the possibility of buying one of the previous generation sims. They are very economical.First, if you don't have FLYII, I highly recommend it. It has a very loyal following of very talented designers... not to mention it's creator, Richard Harvey, still working on a new patch due out sometime soon, this summer. I've seen FLYII for as little as $20... bargan! Just be sure to go over to the forum and read the FAQs and "Firat Time FLY!er" posts anchored at the start of the Topics page to see how to apply the patches, etc. All are available here at Avsim.I found FLY2K for $10 at Walmart. You want good frame rates? Get FLY2K it is smooth!I just ordered Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 for a total of $23.These sims have great forums with dedicated and very talented designers ready to help with any and all problems.I have been simin for about a year and a half. I started with FS2000 then XPlane 5, MS Trainsim, FLYII. I tried Pro Pilot which seemed like it would have been good but it wouldn't work with my video card. Then came FS2002, wonderful! I love it. But I have to say, I love the others.... even the previous generation sims. They all have bugs and little annoying problems... but guess what, they all have something great about them. They are great, cheap and have their own little something you'll probably like.Why not go over to the forums for these and read a page or two and see what you think?Happy flying!Earl.... "and the greatest of these is Love." I Cor. 13:13

What would be really good for flight sims, would be to see a few College teams compete around the idea...I saw the other day (guess it was on Discovery) a yearly competition of engineering teams from various Universities around the world: they were making robots playing soccer! I was simply amazed at the level sophistication and lateral thinking these gals/guys exhibited.Historically, it's when things seem to have reached a standstill that innovation kicks in, so optimistically,....By the way, that wouldn't be such a bad idea for a group like Avsim to foster that kind of challenge.

Guest Lizardo

Haha, the last time someone thought like that we got Linux. So, it's certainly DO-able.

Yep. And there's also Perl. Somehow, it feels like the best is not made of the tremendous progress in Hardware... Like a F1 driven by one of us instead of Schumy...