Sign in to follow this  

First Lesson...school recommendations?

Guest Joshieca

I went out today and had a look a local aviation school.... American Flyers (www.americanflyers.net). I was curious if anyone had any has had any experience with them? What others can anyone recommend for someone just starting out?Thanks......

Well I don't personally have any experience with them, but I've trained with 2 instructors that learned to fly with American Flyers at Palwaukee airport. Which American Flyers did you check out? I know they have a few locations around the country. The only thing I've heard was that they tended to be a bit expensive. Is your goal only learning to fly, or are you thinking about an airline career? The reason I ask is because American Flyers has a Part 141 school.If you're not familiar with what a Part 141 school is, I'll try to explain. If you were to enroll in a Part 141 school, you'd be getting intense training... ...probably 5 days a week or more. You'd have both ground school and flight lessons each day. You might even be flying twice a day. You pretty much focus on nothing but flying while you're in a Part 141. The advantages to a Part 141 are that you'll probably get your license much quicker than a Part 61 program and it'll probably require less flight time. It is a more rigorous program and the requirements you have to meet are slightly different from a Part 61 program. Part 141 is mainly intended for people who know they want to fly for the airlines and want to get through training as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean you couldn't do Part 61 and get your private pilot's license and later decide to work your way up the ladder, though.Now I'll leave the door open for someone who went to a Part 141 school and knows much more than I do.By the way, I'd recommend checking out the magazine "AOPA Flight Training" at your local book store. It's a great magazine and they often have tips for checking out flight schools. But then again, so do most of the flying magazines! ;)

Guest Joshieca

Thanks I just read the handout that they gave me...and they talk about that 141 setup.It's the American Flyers in San Diego CA. Mainly for right now I am just taking the next step. I have "playing" around with the flight sims for about 5 or 6 years and just want something more. I don't think that a career is in order but you'd never know. I hear once you get bitten its hard to stop. :)I asked why they were more expensive and the told me that as part of the private pilot lessons they give you 40 hours of in the air training....20 with an instructor and then 20 as "solo". According to them, by doing this, along with their classroom instruction, you don't have to take the FAA flight test. The FAA acknowledges them allows you to by-pass it.They also offer a program called VIP...meaning Vfr Ifr Pilot. According to them by combining the two courses of instruction and the certification for VFR & IFR you can save a few thousand dollars.I have a meeting with them soon...so I was just curious to see if anyone has been with them and what they thought about learning from them.I will check out that magazine. I all plan to call my local BBB and the FAA to see if there are any complaints on file.

Guest byoung

I took my flight training with them many moons ago..They are a little on the pricey side, but that is because they do a professional job. The main thing with a flight school is scheduling. I switched from my original flight school to American Flyers because they were able meet my schedule. One thing I do recommend, if you can afford it, is to take very concentrated training, flying three times a week or more. Don't do the once a week training, it will delay you getting the necessary skills and cost more money in the long run.Also, if you can schedule your initial training at a "lower traffic" airport, you will have a much better experience. Nothing is more frustrating than being number 10 for take off, meanwhile the hobbs meter is running.Hope this helps!Barry

Excellent advice from Barry. Flying 2-3 times a week is definitely recommended. I've flown 2-3 times a week, and I've also tried the once a week thing. Believe me, it makes a difference. You'll make much faster progress by flying several times a week. When you only fly once a week, your skills get rusty and you are actually back-pedaling for a little bit each time you get back in the plane.