Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marius

Need some help

Guest Marius

Hello guysI have some trouble with takeoff. I can't manage to hold the v2+20 speed, and I don't know how to correctly retract flaps. To give you some info on my first problem:Before takeoff, I select 5 degree flap and set the trim to 5,25. When lined up on the runway, I let the N1 stabilze on 40%, and select TOGA. When I hear the call for rotate, I smoothly pulls back the stick, and I'm trying to follow the FD. But I can't manage this. The plane just continue to roll, and I haft to push the stick forward and reduce the trim setting to awoid stalling.what am i doing wrong? I have searched the forum and I have not seen somebody ellls have this problem, so it has to be me thats doing somthing wrong. I hope some of you could help me with this.Marius

Guest ilh

I think it is more difficult if you "chase" the FD on takeoff. I find I tend to try to hold about a 15-20 degree nose up attitude, and then make small adjustments on the nose up angle on the ADI based on speed increasing or dropping, but again, don't chase the speed. Make a small adjustment and let it take effect before making another adjustment. With practice you will get good at it. (The same thing works in a real 172.)If you find you need very high pitch angles, you should consider reduced thrust for takeoff and climb, on the N1 FMC page.And yes, you very well might need forward stick pressure as you accelerate to hold a given pitch attitude. That is normal because the horizontal stabilizer becomes more effective with more speed. Making trim adjustments should be done any time you are holding forward or backward control pressure and should become second nature. It helps to have trim switches on your yoke or stick.Lee Hetherington (KBED)

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I have kind of the same thing happen when I take off. The nose goes high very quickly. I usually set 10 degress flaps. Not that that matters for your question though. But anyway, I have come to expect a quick pitch up and I too push the stick forward and trim down one notch real quick after lift off. I can't say that I have ever had it catch me off guard so bad that I stall though, even when I first started flying the plane. Also, for me, each notch of trim seems to make a large difference. The trim seems a little heavy handed if you ask me. I have posted about the trim before and some have said the same, and plenty of others have said it's not a big change per notch of adjustment for them. I think this may be what is happening with you though, trim adjustment is overly high. Play with it and tell me what you think. Maybe it's not the problem for you at all. I'm guessing. Jim Richards

Guest neil_c

Hi Marius,Not sure about your pitch problem but here's how to retract flaps correctly.At acceleration altitude and with climb thrust set, lower pitch attitude to about 10 degrees to get the speed rising. Once you're accelerating from V2+20, set flap 1 (assuming a flap 5 takeoff). When speed rises to the flap 1 bug, set flaps up and continue accelerating to your chosen speed.