Sign in to follow this  

FMC manual

Dear pilots, can someone tell me where to get a manual for the 737 Flight Management Computer? I would like to know some more details of it.Thanks in advance.

Guest Ray CYYZ

The best there is is found here: http://www.fmcguide.com/books.htmlThe combination of the FMC Users Guide B737NG and the 737NG Cockpit Companion will have you reading over 400 pages of detailed reality.Remember, these are the real things not written for simulators, but for real pilots.Ray

I personally just used the PIC 767 FMC manual. If you dont have it, you can download it at www.wilcopub.comThere are differences but it is 90% the same and at 108 pages, its pretty detailed.Glenn Harrall

Guest Ray CYYZ

As long as you understand that the Smith Aerospace FMC used in the 737 is NOT the Honeywell Industries FMC used in the 757/747/767/777 and do not expect to see the same things in the same places, you'll be ok with using the 767PIC guide, but in fairness to the 767PIC guys, while it may be posted on the Wilco site, it is part of their product so you might ask politely if not a PIC owner. They probably do not mind, but never hurts to drop people a line and ask (and thank them while you are at it) ;)Ray

I've got to second the recommendation for the Bulfer FMC guide. I don't have the 737 one, but I do have the Big Boeing guide and it's worth its weight in gold.Jon (KSEA)

I understand now that, at the moment, there is no FMC manual from PMDG. I also use the PIC767 manual but is has some differences.Thanks for your response.

Which brings us to another question:Will PMDG be releasing an FMC manual? I know there was talk about it a while back, but it seems to be a bit quiet now....Glenn

Guest tmetzinger

>Which brings us to another question:>>Will PMDG be releasing an FMC manual? I know there was talk>about it a while back, but it seems to be a bit quiet now....>>GlennYa know, it just occured to me how ironic the situation is... we have a first class product now from a company called Precision Manual Design Group... that doesn't come with good manuals.This is NOT a dig - I just started chuckling when I thought about it. If the product was from Precision Simulation Design Group, we'd end up with an extremely well documented product... but the product wouldn't work as described.I will say this - if you want to go beyond the basic flight plan programming and fly the airplane like you would in real life - you need to have a thorough understanding of IFR procedures equivalent to that of a real world pilot. Once you have that background, the real-world manuals make a lot more sense, particularly when working with SIDS/STARS/ATC vectors. Without the background, you'll have a hard time understanding the examples given in the manuals.-Tim Metzinger

Guest OneTinSoldier

Tim,What you said here is what I thought ever since I bought the product. I thought there would be some kind of incredible manual in relation to the name of the company. :) It hasn't bothered me, just an observation.Jim Richards

Hi,maybe they will release a new set of manuals when the -800 / -900 series are ready for release. The FMC for instance has many gray shaded functions that are not usable at this time. I

Guest Ray CYYZ

:-lolPMDG got their name back from the manual they wrote for Hardy's Precision Simulator 1.2.I completely agree with you, stepping up from a PPL without multi-engine/IFR ratings, it has been one heck of a lesson in how the real world does it. The most painful aspect really was a complete lack of charts and lack of understanding about how the big boys don't VOR hop like us little folks. The nice thing is that you never stop learning new things and boy do you ever get a sense of accomplishment out of it.We need a tutorial for the tutorial. PS has a fantastic one written by Brian Cowell and is 160 pages long. Even it is very light on the "IRS" world of heavies. 160 pages to cover 1 flight, lets hope someone with Brian's writing talents joins the PMDG family.Ray

Guest tmetzinger

>Hi,>>maybe they will release a new set of manuals when the -800 />-900 series are ready for release. The FMC for instance has>many gray shaded functions that are not usable at this time.>I