Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

Hold and VNAV?

My fellow captains,Today I was flying from BWI to ALB, and was cruising at FL330.I had only one altitude constraint in the flight plan, the initial approach fix for runway 1 (Cirru) at 2500. As the airplane approached the T/D for the initial VNAV descent, I set the altitude in the MCP to 2500, and the plane started a perfect descent (thanks again for the fixes!).My wife arrived at that moment and it was time to bring in the groceries and the baby, so I picked a waypoint on the route the FMC had apparently chosen for its deceleration point (as it had 240/10000 in small numbers by it) and I Line Selected it, and used it to set up a hold.When the hold page came up, I set the speed and altitude to 230/10000, hit EXEC, and the hold came up and looked good on the map and plan.So off I went to eat lunch. When I came back, I found the airplane executing a perfect hold - at 2500 feet. Apparently something happened and there was a VNAV disconnect and the airplane continued down. I'm lucky that the peaks were only around 2200 feet.I'm going to try it again tonight and pay more attention, but I do have one question.If a hold is programmed in the middle of a descent, will the airplane level off at the entered holding altitude properly (assuming no overspeed or other reason for a VNAV disconnect?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>If a hold is programmed in the middle of a descent, will the>airplane level off at the entered holding altitude properly>(assuming no overspeed or other reason for a VNAV disconnect?To answer my own question - YES. Today I repeated the flight and all went as expected... I don't know what might have caused the disconnect yesterday.