Sign in to follow this  

Oshkosh Again!!

Well.....I finally got it working by activating this new thing called ADDON SCENERY. Never had to deal with that before and it was empty until this OSH thing got popped in there. But none of that happened by itself, and there were NO instructions anywhere to that effect. Typical Microsoft, although that is NOT typical EAA, and I have let them know about it.By the way, for those of you who haven't been to Oshkosh, or Airventure, as it is now called, this scenery (when and if you can get it working) is very good and has me already dreaming about this year! This will be the 16th year for me, and it is always worth it! Just so you know, though, the density (even maxed)of airplanes and campers and such is not, however, typical of a day during the week of the show, save perhaps the last day when most everyone has pulled up stakes and left! During most of the show, and, indeed the day or two preceeding it, there are airplanes parked tight along EVERY inch of the perimiter of the field on the north, west, and south sides of runway 9/27 and every inch of the west side of runway 18-36, and this continues for almost two miles PAST the south end of that runway. The campground covers the entire area from the divided highway to the Theater in the Woods, and is, during the show, home to more people than live in the city of Oshkosh the rest of the year! And the parking lots! The only thing that comes close, either in capacity or effiency is Disney World! So perhaps we will need an additional add-on on top of the add-on! I would recommend, as I did to Microsoft repeatedly over the last 10 years at Oshkosh (they show up there to pitch MSFS and their booth is one of the most crowded!) that someone get permission to use, as a photo background, the very high quality overheads that used to be shot every year during the show by a lady from Milwaukee named Marge Beaver. This would at least put the two dimensional image of the 12,000 airplanes and the cars and campers into play.But for sure this is a great addition. I remember when the original scenery designer came out for FS4 - OSH was the first airport I built! Tony Vallillo(EAA Chapter 27)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Tony, What version of FS do you have? US or Int'l? With the US by default the Addon Scenery folder is enabled. I didn't have problems installing and I liked the idea of having seemless installation w/o having to add the scenery as they is a numerical limit amount.

FS 2002 Professional, USA version. That ADDON directory was not enabled - that wound up being what I had to do to get it to work. Someone put it well elsewhere........ the experienced users knew this, but those of us who don't usually add scenery on were largely at sea for awhile. Still a great bit when you get it running.TV