Sign in to follow this  

Risky Mountain flight & NTSB Reports

I have a high interest in mountain flight & the associated dangers that go along with it. Once and a while an un-fortunate aircraft accident will show up in the NTSB reports involving mountainous flight. The following NTSB link is one of the recent ones.http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=2...625X00964&key=1Like I say, it's very unfortunate indeed, but at least flight simulations such as FS2002 can give you an idea of what went wrong & what the pilot was up against! By situating your simulated aircraft on the Atlanta, Idaho (55H)runway & facing the direction of Runway 34, you can see just what the pilot had against him! Although the scenery is in default form, it's still a good indication of very fast rising terrain. The plane in question was an older Beechcraft with 205 horsepower. Try this with aircraft ranging from the 172 & up, & you'll see why leaning techniques, density altitude, & sheer horsepower can make the difference between survival & not!The "Flight Guide" manual for this airport states:Unattended, Own Risk. Not recommended except expert pilots with local knowledge. Can be hazardous. Recommended landing runway 34, takeoff runway 16. Atlanta, Idaho (55H)L.Adamson

Decided to try the Archer. Not a lot of horsepower so you better get it right the first time. It was difficult because of the varying terrain so I found myself high on the approach. I was already dirty so I tried the ole short runway approach. A lot of left aileron and a lot of right rudder to bleed the altitude without gaining airspeed. I was just above stall about 1/3 down the runway. Finally got her down and ended up about 100 ft and the end of the runway. If you look around you can see that if its a go around you better have the horsepower. Thanks for the post that was fun. Now to try it with a faster plane.BobG