Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

Lockups!!??

I get this new system to enjoy FS2002 without the slideshow frame rates and now all I get are lockups everytime I start FS2002, usually within seconds of starting. Everything else works beautifully except FS2002! Specs:AMD Athlon XP 1800Abit KR7A133Windows XPPNY Verto GeForce 3 Ti 200 AGP512MB RAM40Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA 133DirectX 8.01latest nvidia driversWhat could be the cause of these lockups? They happen every single time I start FS2002.

Guest SD Sim

The first question is whether your running the default version of FS2K2, or have numerous add-ons. If it's not the default version, try reinstalling (remember to manually delete the residual files after the uninstall). When you say the lockups occur as soon as you start FS2K2, can you be more specific? Do you get past the splash screen? Do you receive any onscreen warnings? Can you run a benchmarking application like Mad Onions 3DMark2001 without lockups? These are some places to start.

I'm running a freshly installed FS2002 with no addons. Installed everything yesterday on the new hard drive. Yes, I get the splash screen, it locks up right after the splash screen, as soon as I select a flight, always in less than a minute after the flight loads, no warnings. I ran the Mad Onion thingy that does 17 tests and it went fine (got a score of 6288 but was unable to go online for comparisons, their server wasn't working, so don't know where that score falls). FS2002 is the only application giving me troubles, everything else works great, videos, mp3s, avis, the web, etc. Thanks for your help.

Guest SD Sim

Okay ib747. Since you just installed FS2K2, you don't have anything to lose by doing a fresh install. In the 4-5 installations I have done on my systems, I have had at least one installation completely fail, which I'm guessing was the result of a corrupted file. My recommendation then is to uninstall using the add/remove program control panel. Then check your hard drive and make sure that everything related to FS2K2 is gone. If not, then manually delete the folder (or store it somewhere in a renamed folder such as oldMSFS). Now go ahead and reinstall. Hopefully that will solve your problem. If not, then we can move on from there.Edit - your 3DMark sounds about right for your system. My Ti200 is around 7K on a system similar to yours.

Guest Joshieca

Your score is a bit low but not too bad...I have a 1900+ and a GForce Ti500 and got 8200....Have your uninstalled and reinstalled in a different location yet?[br][br][div align=center]http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif]CHINESE PROVERB"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to bangkok."[/div][/font://http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fst.../i][/div][/font

Hi, I forgot to add in my message that I've reinstalled it three times, each time deleting all folders, with no difference - it locks up the same way after each new install, within a minute of starting a flight (usually within 30 secs).

I've reinstalled three times. Don't know what you mean by different location...different folder or different drive?

Guest SD Sim

I now have a better grasp of your frustration. Have you ever been able to successfully install from the current CDs? Also, make sure that you don't have any background applications running, particularly anti-virus software. It sounds like the CDs worked at one time. I think the next thing to check for is IRQ conflicts. Check your BIOS and see if your video card is sharing an IRQ with something else. If it is, then you may be able to resolve the conflict by moving one of your PCI cards (assuming you have one) to a different slot.

Hi, I checked the IRQs and there's no conflict. But...I remembered some people talking in the forums when FS2K2 first came out about their sound cards being the reason for their lockups, so as a last resort I took out the sound card, an old Turtle Beach Montego A3DXstream that I had migrated from my old computer to this new system I built and presto...problem solved. I was able to complete my first flight on this new system, no more lockups before I even get off the ground. I checked on the Turtle Beach website and there's no support for this sound card on WinXP. Now I guess it's off to Best Buy or CompUSA for a new sound card. What's a good budget card for this setup with WinXP and AMD Athlon 1800+? Thanks for the help!

HiWorth Checking if you have Fastwrites enabled in the BIOS, and if so try disabling it.I had lockups with this issue.Let us know know how you go.CheersJohn

Guest SD Sim

:-yellow1 :-yellow1 :-yellow1Glad you fixed your problem. You also taught me something new to watch for when someone else has a similar problem. Just goes to show how picky a pc can be when it comes to peripherals. As for sound cards, I still use onboard sound for both computers. I have heard that Audigy sound cards are good, but be careful as I remember there is at least one that doesn't work well with MSFS. Check the archived posts and you should be able to figure out which one to avoid. Good luck.

Guest Joshieca

>I've reinstalled three times. Don't know what you mean by >different location...different folder or different drive? Yes...... a different folder, different drive is better.