Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Using MSFS 2004 ATC

Guest Ken_Salter

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything...I want to fly with ATC and SID/STARS. Is this the correct procedure:1) Using FSBUILD, build a flight plan for both PMDG FMC and MSFS.2) Open the flight plan in MSFS in IFR mode.3) Start up PMDG and load the rte into the FMC.4) Takeoff under IFR.5) Once established on the FMC route, cancel IFR.6) Fly with FMC to destination under VFR ATC.???Thanks,

Guest ba747heavy

Ken,If your objective is to fly with FS ATC, then I wouldn't cancel IFR. It should be smart enough to guide you along your route.....I think ;) However, I would advise against FS ATC ;)Otherwise, your procedure looks spot on :)

Guest Ken_Salter

Well I intend to switch from FS ATC soon...;-)Okay, when I stay on IFR, ATC tells me to vector off my FMC to whatever it wants. I thought the idea of a STAR was to guide you right on in...which is why I thought maybe to cancel IFR and do VFR and let the FMC fly the plane.

Guest ba747heavy

>Well I intend to switch from FS ATC soon...;-):-hah You going to start using VATSIM?>Okay, when I stay on IFR, ATC tells me to vector off my FMC to>whatever it wants. I thought the idea of a STAR was to guide>you right on in...which is why I thought maybe to cancel IFR>and do VFR and let the FMC fly the plane.That could be a problem. I guess then canceling IFR would be the best way to go :)

Guest Ken_Salter

Actually referring to Radar Contact...;-)I guess my question would be is it realistic to expect to fly the STAR all the way in without ATC interference (except for emergency, etc.)?

Guest ba747heavy

>Actually referring to Radar Contact...;-)>>I guess my question would be is it realistic to expect to fly>the STAR all the way in without ATC interference (except for>emergency, etc.)?No, at least not in my VATSIM experience. Sometimes I think the ATC likes to throw odd twists just because they are bored and I am at there mercy ;) In all seriousness, when flying on VATSIM, I will often times fly the STAR uninterrupted, until the waypoint that the chart says 'you will get vectored to your runway from here'. Then ATC will start to issue vectors and get me on the ground in one piece.Not a hard and fast rule, but it happens more often then not.