Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

my 3 hour flight ended suddenly...

My 3 hour flight ended suddenly. There I was after a 3 hour flight, on final, gear down, flaps set and just starting to flair for a landing, when suddenly...... my fricken computer just decided to reset its self. (enter expletives here) I coulda handled it in mid flight or at the start of the fight, but just as I was about to land ??? GRRRRRRRRRsorry, I just had to vent. now I must go and edit my flight log... I'll be damned if I'm not going to credit myself for that flight. LOLregards,bobfor the record, I have an AMD 700 w/640mb ram, GForce 2 MX with 32mb ram (NVidia 29.4.2 driver), WinXP (home). This hasn't happened before even while 3D modeling using Rhino.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I hate when something like that happens. I've done stupid things like set up a perfect landing... then realize, as I'm hitting the runway, that I forgot to deploy my gear. :-newburn I've also had FS freeze after a long flight. Sometimes this stuff just happens.

Within your system specs . . .>>for the record, I have an AMD 700 w/640mb ram, GForce 2 MX >with 32mb ram (NVidia 29.4.2 driver), WinXP (home). This >hasn't happened before even while 3D modeling using Rhino. . . . I don't see a disk drive mentioned. While I'm sure that you have one, I wonder about its size and how much free space that you have.The reason for my concern is because, just this week, I loaded a LOT of stuff onto my drive and then got lazy and did not finish the job and delete the leftovers. No problem until I started FS2002 and FSFlightMax and S-Combo and flew from KRNO to KSEA. Like you, all went fine until I was on final and then WHAM -- FS2002 crashed with a message that the machine had run out of memory.I didn't see how it could be out of RAM, but I found there was only 82MB free on the disk. Just to be sure, I flew again and it crashed again (this time at FS310 over KLMT). I freed up disk space and it has not happened since. Check it out just in case. R-

thanks for the thought, but no... I have about 7 gig free on the drive that FS2002 is on and 4 gig on the drive WinXP is on. I hope that is enough... LOLthanks again,bob

Thanks guys for the heads-up on Auto-Save.I haven't experienced the, undoubtedly most frustrating, experience of Uncle Bob (I have an Uncle Bob):) but it just occured to me that I have had an oft repeating problem, usually when I have to minimize the screen to check a Call-Wave ,message or something, of my throttle cluster becoming diengaged (Fly DC-3 90% of the time). What I mean is that I'll go to make an adjustment (throttle, prop, mixture) and suddenly discover that only one is responding. Fiddling with the E+1+2 keys have made no difference. At best, all I could do was switch back and forth between the two engines. Not a total SNAFU but when you don't discover this problem until you begin your final descent and try to land like this, it can keep you busier than a one-legged man in an xxx-kicking contest in keeping those engines matched. I can see where Auto-Save can be handy in getting me back to a point before this anomaly happened.Thanks!Heather