Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcomm

Load & Ballance....

I have been looking into some of the cfg files of the aircraft I find best modelled in fs9.PMDG's 737-600/700 is a great fs9 add-on, and although there have been some problems (apparently due to MSFS's core code, and not to some weird parametrization by the designers group, as you may find in one of the posts bellow...) I still find this airplane one of the best airliners I have ever used with MSFS (all versions included!!!!)PMDG's 737, most like other commercial products, comes with a "LoadManager" utility, allowing for an easy way for us to "fill" the operating aircraft with passengers and cargo.Also most like many other add-on aircraft this 737 put's all of it's payload at a single point, instead of distributing the load stations accross the cabin.Now, while this isn't really a killer feature (or shell I say - unfeature...), it really makes me wonder why aircraft designers choose to do it that way, instead of allowing for a longitudinal/lateral distribution of payload, one of the evident consequences being that the CoG is allways at the very same point - a rather simplistic approach when it comes to model real aircraft loading and initial pitch trim settings based on the calculated CoG at the ramp...After all, when the following variables are innitialy defined in "aircraft.cfg":empty_weightempty_weight_CG_positionstation_load.0..Nas well as the reference moments on inertia:empty_weight_pitch_MOIempty_weight_roll_MOIempty_weight_yaw_MOIempty_weight_coupled_MOIisn't the simulator code supposed to calculate the modified MOIs for a set of station loads across the longitudinal and lateral axis of the aircraft?Maybe the calculations aren't really that good, and aircraft designers choose to allways place the payload at the same point, but at least their fuel tanks appear to be correctly positioned, so.... why not the passengers and cargo as well???

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You need an AHM50 to get the Data for Pax and Cargo. These are proprietary documents from Boeing and the airline containing engineering data that are input into Weight and Balance Software for doing loadsheets etc.

Yes, but couldn't variable CoG be simulated? Trimm settings would then be required during flight prep.

Not sure. You would probably end up with the CofG/Trim settings being wrong for a given loading scenario.In the RW, I load 737-700's with all bagggage in the back hold & it usually trims out at about 5 units.