Sign in to follow this  
Guest rcarlson123

Overhead panel startup state and the mini-patch

Guest rcarlson123

Hello PMDG folks ... I've seen mention of the new mini-patch, and I'm wondering if the startup state of the overhead panel switches is to be addressed at all.I noticed that with the 1.2 update, some of the switches are in a different state when the plane is first loaded, than they were in 1.1. I can't remember exactly which ones changed, but I know the L/R/Both ignition switch is now on left, when it used to be on both. Also the APU bleed switch starts out already on (I think ... not at my FS computer right now) and some of the other PAC-related switches are already on too.I'm hoping that with the mini-patch, the switches could all be defaulted to whatever position they should be in for a cold & dark cockpit. Since the state of most of the overhead panel switches is not saved in a situation file, we can't default them however we like, so it would be best to have them start in an accurate position by default. (Maybe they already are, and I just don't realize it! :))Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Guest lbb

Hi Ross,Actually I think most of them already are...As far as the ignition switch is concerned, the previous crew has left it at either left or right, and hardly ever at both. So now it's correct about 50 % of the time you step into the cockpit.The engine bleed switches are left in their on position, because there is no need for them to be switched off. If you carefully go through RW expanded normal procedures (as I have almost ad nauseam :-) ) you'll find that they're not switched on at start-up nor switched off at the other end.Don't know about the recirc fan switch. I have a hunch though that this is well researched by PMDG.However, I'd like you to join me in my effort to get the probe heat switches to off (although this might well be a MSFS limitation) and the spar and engine valve lights to illuminate dim in a cold and (not entirely) dark situation :-)Leo Bakker

Guest ba747heavy

The postion of the ignition switch is 100% correct. In the 'real world' the switch is never in the 'both' postion. The 'both' position is used by maintence, never by the flight crew. The PAC related switches are in the right position as well....the only one I am not sure about is the RECIRC fan.

Guest rcarlson123

Excellent ... it's good to hear that those switches are in the right position ... I guess they were incorrect with 1.1.Probe heat ... yeah, I'd love to see those changed as well if they're not accurate as-is!Those that are less picky about realism must think we're crazy for caring about the startup state of a few switches. :)

Guest Zapper

When entering the flight deck you always first do a cockpit safety check:Batt Master ONElec Hyd Pumps OFF {should be off if aircraft is shutdown but MAY be on if a/c is powered up.. the reason being that having either system on stops the control surfaces flapping about if hyd pressure applied}Gear Handle is downRADAR OffRemember .. when you get into any aircraft it is your responsibility to ensure all switches/controles etc are set correctly. Many times engineers will leave things set diff to the last crew.Just imagine a 5 yr old has just left.. that always helps you focus on your panel scan :)BradPS.. I have written a rough guide on day to day operations for an FO on an NG for my day job.. it does have some operator specific stuff in it but may be of some help if you like to email me.