Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoghead

ZIGGY THREE Arrival

Guest hoghead

Anyone flown the ziggy.ziggy3 using the PMD transition to KONT 26R?The FMC programs what in my estimation is an unusual FAF after crossing ils intercept for 26R. After crossing ILS flight continues south west the turns right north west to intercept the ILS almost near the appron. John FranklinVictorville, CA

Guest SBDenali

Yet another reason to fly on VATSIM =P, you would have someone like me to get you set up. In all seriousness though, I think this might have been a limitation in the programming of the STAR. If you're flying to ZIGGY3 to 26L/R, you are supposed to intercept the ILS yourself after PETIS (as shown in the chart) as the approach controller will only tell you to (cross PETIS at or above 4,200 cleared ILS runway 26L or 26R approach. The 4,200 comes from the ILS Approach Plate chart. Oddly enough both 26L and 26R use the same IAF (an oddity for parallel runways).Back to the limitation.. if you are going to 8L or 8R, you fly ZIGGY direct PDZ on the PDZ030 radial inbound (course heading of 210) and you will get vectors from there. I think your FMS is telling the plane to fly to PDZ then turn back for your next waypoint (which happens to be the runway). Next time you fly it, bust out the charts, and fly down with the MEA's (Minimum En Route Altitutdes) that are shown in small numbers on each leg of the STAR, and set a hard altitude constraint for PETIS at 4,200. If PDZ is mentioned in your flight plan (except for the Missed Approach Proceedure) delete it. You should have the plane fly the front course of the ILS after PETIS and intercept the localizer and fly the ILS normally from there.Hope this helps... and no, nobody on vatsim would ever expect you to come in knowing all those things, we're very helpful in helping people get acquainted and it's a great pleasure to watch the pilots we knew when they were new come back time after time, knowing more and more each time.. and having more fun doing it.

Guest hoghead

Great answer Andy. Very clear...just what I was hoping for.Kind Regards,John FranklinVictorville, CA