Sign in to follow this  

Question for one of you pilot guys (or gals)

Whats the correct start sequence on a four engine aircraft? I seem to recall something like left inboard, right inboard, left outboard, right outboard, but I can't remember. You know what they say about the first three signs of getting old. The first one is losing your memory. The second one is....errrr...uhhhhMike Stone

Guest DaveKDEN

The normal start sequence on the C-130E is #3, #4, #2, #1. The external power cart connects on the left side of the fuselage. Starting the right engines first allowed for use of the external power cart before transfering to "ships" power. After starting the right side, the power cart was removed for start of the left engines. I think the main reasoning behind starting the inboards first was they were closer to the source of air from the GTC (the Gas Turbine Compressor {GTC} is essentially an old fashioned APU the E model Herk has). Closer to the source generally means higher air pressure at the air turbine starter. This applies to E and H models, but I'm not sure about the newer J model. Other four engine aircraft designs might in all likelyhood be different.Dave

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Mike, Think this one is going to be a "who ever is in the seat" answer. In P-3's most of the time its 2,3,1,4 if its a long taxi to hold short 1 and 4 will most likely be started on the roll. Our command when flying the Admiral, will do a 4,3,2,1 start. Sometimes If apu has a low air problem #1 will be first to be started since there is no generator, or engine driven compressor on this engine. There is no real set in stone way to start 'em. Though most likely it will be and inboard first, since there are generators and engine driven compressors on these engines, that way there will be two generators on line with engine(s) turning.(1 gen on the apu, and 1 on engine turning.):-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2n.jpg

Guest CYOW_pilot

Agree with the previous posters, it can vary with the situation. I have the C-130, P-3 (CP-140) and NE3 AWACS (B707). You already have the C130 and P3 answers and for the AWACS it was pretty much the same, #3, #4, #2, #1.Kevin in CYOW

Guest CYOW_pilot

Oops, too fast on the send button. Sentence two should read "I have flown..."Kevin

Thanks all! Appreciate the info!Mike Stone

Guest Heather 636

Don't quote me on it but I was talking to my brother who is a real B-17 nut. He wasn't 100% positive from memory (he's digging through his books now) but believes that #3 engine had the generators, hence was started first; after which the sequence didn't make much difference.Cheers!Heather

And from the B-29 manual, the order is 1,2,3,4. :-kewl