Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

weight question for real-world drivers.

Guest tmetzinger

Does the NG have a way to dump fuel?I'm wondering since the max landing weight is less than max takeoff, what do you do if you take off at near max weight, have a problem, and need to return to the airport? Land over Gross?

Guest EGCC

The 737 series has no fuel dump facility.All modern aircraft are certified to land up to MTOW in an emergency, so if any serious problem arises such as an engine failure/fire after take-off or a sick passenger enroute the crew will land overweight (subject to landing distance available!).An overweight landing inspection is mandatory before the aircraft can be released for service again, but this rarely discovers any stuctural problems.I have a good friend who is a 767-300 First Officer and they landed 40,000kg (88,000lbs) overweight at Manchester (UK) a couple of years ago after smoke in the rear cabin shortly after departure for Florida.The inspection revealed no problems and the same aircraft was on it's way again two hours later to Orlando once the source of the smoke was identified and fixed.It's better to be safe than sorry in these situations, dumping fuel is only a condiseration if the malfunction or incident is not time-critical.

Guest SIX

He is right here, when the top of that 737 in Hawaii was peeled off like a sardine can back in the 80's that was a big deal, he was heavy with fuel and their was no fuel dump capability. The fire dept at the airport was petrified. BTW Tim, nice manuals. I know this bird very well, but sometimes I look over your manuals and find little nuances I wasn't aware of. ThanksWilson HinesUAL006|UPS1008|CX776VWHQCCSenior Vice President, Corporate Communicationshttp://virtual.united.com --------------------------------------Proficiencies: PSS 747,777, A32x, CS 727,PMDG 737-700---------------------------------------FS2002|ActiveSky|FSRealTime|FSBuild2|FSNav|Jep SimCharts2|ACLoaderhttp://heavylhc.com/images/av/anna.jpg