Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Project AI donations - I doubt that this is enough

Guest gasebah

Hi y'all,I just went to the projectAI site and had a look at the donation appreciation page. I have to say that I am shocked. That is all? After all the talk in this and other forums worldwide?The guys did an excellent job and I am sure at least hundreds of people are using their files. I cannot understand why people from a flightsim community that spend hundreds of bucks for their hobby every year, do not feel willing or able to donate at least 10 bucks to support thtis fabulous work. Do not come crying here if all the stuff will be payware one day.But that is just me. Never mind.Alex

I agree with you 100%. The work that has been put into this is incredible. I do plan on donating some money thier way (and a few other places ;-)) once I get paid next week. Very impressed with this!http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/FS_..._banner_je6.jpg I took your love for grantedAnd all the things you said to meI need your arms to welcome meBut a cold stone's all I see

Unfortunately, this is common place in the Flight Sim Community where most people want a 100% flawless freeware product for nothing.And when browsing through some of the freeware forums that provide outstanding contribution, the ammount of negative and abusive posts absolutely fail me sometimes.Freeware developers contribute through their dedication and enjoyment of the hobby and are more often than not made to feel like they owe something to the end user. Get real fellas.The subject about the community leaning towards payware is not a question of "if" but "when"

Can't they just upload their files to AVSIM for free?Then they won't need donations to pay for their bandwidth.Matthew.

Hi Matthew,With all due respect, I do not think you are getting the point, nothing is FREE, someone has to pay for it somewhere.AVSIM does not get bandwith for free, is that right Tom There is a similar situation in the UK, people think that the National Health Service is free but it is paid for by taxes and National Insurance contributions and is only free at the point of delivery.

Guest Scott Campbell

Geeeez, I hardly get any e-mail at all. The only stuff I get is thenks and questions and suggestions.When..oh when..am I ever going to get flame posts?I feel so left out and un-unloved! Either this means no one's using my stuff or it's so confusing everyone goes into brainlock when they use it! Maybe I should start charging? Maybe I should start pitting it into the AVSIM library? Maybe I should start making it with really big, flaming mistakes? :-lol;-) :-wave

You are probably one of the lucky ones then Scott :-lol

But AVSIM has advertising revenue to pay for its bandwidth doesn't it?With ProjectAI being such a great addon I would think AVSIM would be happy to have exclusive distribution rights for it since it would bring users to AVSIM, and then ProjectAI would not need donations.I probably don't understand the financial basis on which AVSIM operates so I may be totally wrong.In anycase good luck to ProjectAI with their quest for donations.Matthew.

Guest Heather 636

Scott Campbell!! When is the last time you had a spanking young man!!Don't You Dare!;)Hmmm, what was that old Carley Simon song, "Nobody Does it Better . . ."Heather

Guest Scott Campbell

Heather,Awwwwww...please...let me comment on the spanking thing! ;-)

Guest Joshieca

Well I don't know were PAI went wrong. Perhaps they bit off more then they could chew. But if other places, such as FSW Group, can offer high quality FS addon's for FREE without begging for money then I don't see why PAI can't do the same.As for crying when everything becomes payware....hardly! That day will never come, because just as the dot com's have realized that people want something for nothing. You start forcing people to buy your products, and you will find out that your product is not being used....or its being pirated.

Guest Matt Johnson

Why do I get the feeling this is going to get ugly again?AVSIM posted its position in a thread about this over a week ago. ProjectAI have decided to go the route they have gone, which is their choice. That route wasn't AVSIM.I'm locking this thread as a "precaution" more than anything else. If you have any comments, please feel free to mail staff@avsim.com -- but criticing PAI for the choice they have made isn't the right thing to be doing here.--M