Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claude troncy

Descent approach checklist and transition level ?

Guest Claude troncy

Bonjour,In the descent and approach checklist we have to check the altimeter, so I think it can only be done after the transition level.As this transition level is different for each country does it means the timing for this checklist is related to the place where we land.Can anyone give me a clue ?merciClaude Troncy

Guest Andrew Potts

When cleared to descend to an altitude...Set the altitude.Set QNH and ask the PNF to do the same.Cross check the altimeters.Do the Desc-App checklist.I think it's only the US that has the slightly bizarre nationwide TL, everywhere I fly the TL is FL40 - FL60.

Guest gremel

Ah.......so what's wrong with the slightly bizarre nationwide TL of 18,000 ft ???? Isn't standardization magnficent!! You don't have to check each State in the USA for the TL level.....Makes perfect sense to me. One less thingie to 'check & set' ...Right! Roger!Regards,Jack NoulletKGSP

Guest Andrew Potts

Er...All the aircraft flying in the 5000' to 18000' have to constantly "check and set" their altimeters to ensure separation. On a long flight in a turboprop, in changeable weather, how often does a US pilot have to set his altimeter? In the rest of the world, we take off, count to about 10, set 1013 and we are all separated correctly. No need to check and set anything until intermediate/final approach. Gives us more time to concentrate on not bumping into cumulogranitus...No need to check on the TL for each state - it's on the SID plate, or the ATIS.

Guest PilotPete

>All the aircraft flying in the 5000' to 18000' have to>constantly "check and set" their altimeters to ensure>separation.That's a very good point. The problem is accepting your own country's way of doing things as "normal" and all others as odd. I always thought the 5K rule in Germany was odd, but now it makes more sense than our 18K for the majority of flying most people do.Peter