Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

No weather in ABL?

I just got around to printing out the docs on the MS SDK ABL (how's that for acronyms?) and here's a partial quote:"At the topmost level, Flight Simulator exposes only two objects:

".....Is this just another example of MS not giving us the tools we need,...."I glanced at the ABL docs last night.... There's a fair amount to digest. Meanwhile, FSUIPC's SDK documents quite a few ways to manipulate weather, and other aspects of the FS environment. Using a tool as simple as VB, you can create standalone apps that run in the background (I wrote Autoland 2001 in that manner, as well as the upcoming Autoland 2002). In spite of ABL's release, I still believe the FSUIPC/VB combo is one of the best ways to go for FS interface development, and it seems no more complex than what I've seen in the ABL documentation. I somewhat feel that your "Is this just another example....." question a bit preemptive, considering that the ABL kit was just released within the last 48 hours....

I should go and dig up the FSUIPC docs then, John, since VB is probably something I'm a lot more comfortable with than rather learning yet another scripting language. Thanks for the pointer (and maybe I'll get off my big behind and actually program something for FS).But as to my remarks about MS being preemptive (did you mean presumptive?)... well, I dunno, ask any of the developers around here what SDK they would have liked to see released and it would *not* have been the GMax, nor the ABL, nor the MAKEMDL, nor the FX nor, indeed, any of the other SDKs MS has provided so far -- all they want is some serious scenery SDK help, and it hasn't been forthcoming (well, yes, some Autogen help is available, but that isn't really what's needed).I have not jumped on the MS bashing bandwagon because I think it's quite cool we even have *some* ability to control FS but as your comment above indicates, we don't have from MS the tools we need (if you're recommending Peter's FSUIPC as the way to go, obviously MS hasn't filled the void).

I'm a bit bothered that Microsoft hasn't provided more VB support, considering it's a tool they sell. "C" has a steeper learning curve, and that I feel has curbed development. I agree with you about the SDK ommissions... Microsoft certainly didn't help my progress with Landclass Assistant..... Every part of that project came from tips and reverse engineering by the devel. community. Think of it--stuck using a FS2000 SDK to create scenery for 2k2, using features that 2k2 recognizes but FS2000 doesn't, none of which are documented :) I am very curious as to what MS will document when they release the next Terrain SDK....