Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrekr

Autopilot usage in 737 NG?

Guest andrekr

Hi all,I bought 737NG boxed version at Aerosoft which came with 2 manuals - one describing the panel and one for FMC. But I'm missing a description about the Autopilot usage (CMD A; CWS A; CMD B and CWS :(.Right now I'm using CMD A only but I'd like to know / learn what the different autopilots are for. Unfortunately I couldn't find any description in my searches. The only "small" information I found in a forum was that CMD B is used for pitch & roll & NAV2 setting for ILS. Where can I find more information about the usage of those autopilots, especially the CWS A&B ?As "newbie" I do have also 2 other small questions...maybe you also have an answer for those: 1. Is it correct that there is no anticollision / warning implementation (TCAS) within the models?2. Is it correct that the "Terr" (Terrain?) map button in EFIS is inoperable or did something in my installation went wrong?Thanks much in advance for your helpAndre

Guest Zapper

Hi Andre.Both A/Ps (A and :( are fully functioanl, can be used by either pilot and are quite capable of flying the aircraft as well as either of the soft squishy pilots. Normally only one A/P is engaged unless you are doing a full Autoland which requires BOTH AP's to be engaged when established on the ILS.CWS is Control Wheel Steering. Essentially it means a human pilot selects an attitude with the Control Wheel and the AP will attempt to hold that attitude. CWS is rarely if ever used unless you need to manually overide the autopilot to manauever around a cloud or another aircraft but if that is the case you would normally disengage the Autoflight system altogether.I know almost nothing about the TCAS imnplementation in the PMDG sim but as a real world 737NG driver the whole package is good enough for me to use it as a serious training aid. In fact it is a bloody BRILLIANT simulation!TERR is not implemented AFAIK. TERR is a part of the Enhanced GPWS in the real aircraft and is a real boon around the hills :)Rgds,Brad Marsh

Guest andrekr

Thanks much Brad,your information helped alot. Regarding CWS usage I fully agree with you in rather disengaging the autoflight system (even not being a "real" pilot).ThxAndre

Guest EISN_CONTROL

the TCAS system is not implemented in the 600/700.TCAS2, a fully functional and 100% realistic system is implemented in the 800/900 which is in beta testing.You should read Mr Randazzo's post above which goes into a lot of detail ;)John http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewer

Guest andrekr

I read it...and can't await the release of the product :)