Sign in to follow this  
Guest autothrottle

What mode ?

Hello,On descent (in real life) if you are late on the ND decent plan (with VNAV not engaged) what do you make ? Do you catch again this delay? If yes how ?Do you use LVL CHG with spoilers ? Or V/S ?Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not a real pilot so I might just speculate... And what I've seen from my real flights, they do use spoilers on start of descent even, so I guess it can be used for descend. V/S is practical if you want to be at some exact altitude at some exact point.And finally, if you're really late, I think holding and descending at some distant VOR (like for instance on approach for EDDF, OSMAX VOR, 11,000ft). I believe ATC would order you to hold and descend...I'd like to know if I'm right at these points :)

I have made previous posts on this. Might be worth using the search function. Simple answer: IRL most ppl will use LVL CHG and crank the speed up to say 320 or 33o. If this is not enough then a tickle of SPD BRAKE will sort the propblem out for you. If this doesn't work then you have REALLY stuffed up and it is time to ask ATC for extra track miles. :DIn the real -800 VNAV works a treat so as long as you set the FMC up properly then it will make your flying day a lot easier.As always keep a mental track of your descent profile.. I use and recommend a 3 times profile as described in the Geezer Guide at:http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~speedy/737start.htmlA few useful notes are also attached below my sig.ATB,