Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bpilot

VOR/LOC - APP

Guest Bpilot

Hello, simmers,There are times when its difficult to know "where am I" when using the VOR/LOC - APP buttons. Situation:1-When within range from the ILS and hearing the radio bip from the VOR, one uses VOR/LOC to intercept the radial. The VOR/LCD signal appears in the LCD in white. You know where you are!2-When interception occurs, the VOR/LOC mark in the LCD will go up and framed in green, and the plane starts to follow the radial. You know where you are.3-When APP is pressed, there's no signal in the LCD, except that your APP light is on. So, you still know where you are.4-Than APP gets the radial and the APP light goes off! No clear indication on the LCD that, yes, you are connected.In a busy flight, trying to change RW in the FMC, winds, traffic and the like (and probably my wife saying that dinner is getting cold), sometimes I don't know where I am: did I approach already? Is APP on?Where can I see where - and when - am I?Thanks for comments.BPilot

Guest Erups

You should look more accurately at the PFD:when engageing APP mode, you get the same annunciations as per the VOR/LOC mode, plus the vertical annunciations which areG/S (in white)G/S (in green when the airplane intercepts the slope)The only difference (in terms of annuciators behaviour)is that the APP confirmation light on the MCP turns off when the mode becomes active, while the VOR/LOC conf. lamp stays on.Hope to helpBRClaudio

Guest ba747heavy

The APP light shutting off is per reality. The MCP doesn't tell you what your autopilot is doing - the FMA on the PFD does.

Guest Erups

>The APP light shutting off is per reality.Never said it wasn't :)BRClaudio