Sign in to follow this  
Guest Malcik

Problems with landing using FMC and ILS!!

Guest Malcik

Hi men,I fly with PMDG B737-700 TNG in MSFS 2004. Although I am a beginner, everything is O.K., but I am not able to land with the aircraft at all...I can use most of the FMC, but there is a problem with STARs. As I am descending, ATC assignes me the exact runway for landing. Then I gotta update my route in FMC - I want it to go from the last waypoint (entered in FMC even before takeoff) to the first waypoint of STAR that leads to the beginning of appropriate glide slope. In this point I want to turn to my final approach (using ILS) and then normally slowly descend along the glide slope all the way to the treshold of my runway. Just after intersecting the treshold, I want to turn the A/P off and the few last feet descend manually and land.But there is a problem. I flew from Washington (KIAD) to NYC (KJFK). ATC assigned me runway 04L. First problem was, that in FMC - when selecting runway for landing - there were serveral runways and approaches with '04L' - e.g. DILS04L, IIIILS04LIII (or something like that) etc. Which one should I select?Second problem: I tried all these '04L' runways and all their STARs and TRANSITIONS, but none of all possible combinations was beginning in the last waypoint of my current route (that was COL at 115.40) as I needed. They also didn't end at the beginning of 04L's glide slope (which I needed either), so when I selected it, FMC told me 'route discontinuity'... I tried to connect the beginning of the STAR with the end of my current route and also the end of the STAR with beginning of the glideslope, but it was impossible.Thrid problem: I managed to make one route leading from my position all the way to the runway. I just connected waypoint at my position, waypoint at the beginning of glide slope and waypoint at the treshold of my runway (all with straight lines). But it is probably not the standard way of approaching and it doesn't either have anything to do with ILS and that's probably wrong as well. All the time I had LNAV and VNAV buttons pressed.So I am asking now - how to configure the right runway, STAR and ILS approach to the FMC and how to configure the A/P to work according to the FMC?Thanks for replies

Guest Moviedirector20

Okay this is just what I am saying and I dont think i know it all that well but let me try.I don't think that the star had really anything to do with what runway your landing. It is more about what direction you are approaching, I think at the last fix in the star they give you vectors to the ILS. Get another opinion before you take my words to heart though. Also the IIIILS04LIII I think means it is a category 3 ILS and i think category's are chosen on weight??2. I am not sure about the first part but the route discontinuity is a DISCO which I think appears basically whenever you chose an approach, you just have to clear it with the previous waypoint.Sorry I couldnt be more help. Although I do suggest you work throught Tim Metzinger's tutorial(i think thas how you spell his name) It is very in depth and takes it slow to not overwhelme you. I am working through it and it is very good.

Guest Malcik

OK, thank you for your help.The problem with STARs - I just found it strange when I saw that all possible STARs at KJFK were located exactly on the opposite side of the airport. I think only one was on the same side as I was. Well, you say that I should fly to the last waypoint (in my case COL 115.40 as I said), then directly to the first waypoint of the best STAR and from the last waypoint of the STAR directly to the nearest waypoint that is located on the axis of the runway?As I say, I am a beginner and just want to find as much information about it as possible. And I just also want to do all the stuff the same way as if it was in real.Thank you also for the name of the guy who made the guide, I will download it for sure...