Sign in to follow this  
Guest captain_dirk

Making routes

Guest captain_dirk

Hi,I have some difficulty making routes of flight for my PMDG 737. Programming FMC is no problem, but when it comes to the most importing thing; inserting SIDS, STARS and transitions, it's problematic.First, which waypoints do you use on your route? Do you go to map view in FS2004 and then choose some waypoints that are most logical for the route? Ok, then you put these waypoints on your route page after you chose the SID and transition for the appropriate runway. My problem is that most SIDS and transitions do not line up nicely with my chosen route. Most of the time, they go totally in another direction, making my flight longer than it needs to be. However, in the tutorials, the sids and transitions go perfectly with the route. I wonder how that can be accomplished. The same thing for STARS. As, in FS, you cannot look up ATIS of an airport that is at the end of a long route, you cannot choose a runway and the appropriate STAR and transition. Am I right? So, do you have to choose your approach on-route?Thanks for help,Dirk

Guest captain_dirk

Hello again,I solved the problem of making routes. I flew a route today from KLAX to KDEN with an existing route and it went pretty smoothly, with a SID and TRANS inserted. However, I still have problems with making a proper approach. First, you cannot select the runway early in the flight because you do not know which runway you will be assigned to by ATC at the arrival airport. Second, how do you know which STAR to use. Most of the STARS available at KDEN did not connect properly to the route of flight I used.Can anyone help?Thanks