Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tomlin

FMC-Destination Waypoint distance not updated

Guest Tomlin

As we all know, ATC both in real life and in FS will almost always vector us to final approach several miles away from the airport, causing us to not fly to the last few waypoints in our flight plan and what is programmed in the FMC (737NG). So, how come the FMC fails to update the remaining distance to go once you disconnect LNAV and start flying the vectors to final? Example: You are filed KATL-SOONE-AMG-DINNS-KJAX but then at AMG you start getting vectors and dont fly on LNAV to DINNS. So the distance to the destination airport on the progress page now stops updating, and in many times will increase it's distance because I suppose it is calculating the distance from the final destination as if you intended to go back to the last waypoint to be passed and then continue flying to the destination. Why is this, and what can be done to correct it? I try to delete the final waypoints and leave the final destination airport, but cant figure out how to do that. Thanks a million for your help!!! I figured after about 50 hours in this aircraft, I want to put a stop to it!Eric T

I'm certainly no realworld NG driver, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty without going through a lot of NG documentation that it is because the real 737NG behaves this way. Also, when being given vectors the FMC and the pilot of course have no idea of the duration of this vectoring, unless the controller adds '...you have XX miles to run'. This information is given to all aircraft who do not already have some other means of determining distance to run for descent purposes where I come from, except very rarely when the controller is perhaps too busy.Regards,Geoffrey Balean (YSCB)